Home Occupation Filing Procedure and Information

If you wish to conduct a business from your home within the City of Union City, you must file for a Home Occupation Permit and City Business License. The purpose of a home occupation permit is to ensure that those uses permitted under the permit do not cause an adverse effect on adjacent properties. Regulations are imposed on the permit to preserve the character and quality of the residential neighborhood in which the use is conducted.

1. Print and complete the Home Occupation Permit Application and Business License Application.
2.   Completed forms may be delivered in person to the Planning Department at City Hall, faxed to 510-487-9361 or mailed to: City of Union City, 34009 Alvarado-Niles Road, Union City, CA 94587, ATTN: Licensing Department.
3.   Allow at least 5 Business Days for review and approval of your application.
4.   If your application is not approved on the same day, a letter will be sent to you informing you of the status of your application and the fee for your license. There might also be additional forms enclosed for you to complete and return with your business license fee.
5.   When you have completed everything required in the letter and paid your license fee, a receipt will be issued to you which serves as a temporary business license. The business LICENSE CERTIFICATE will be mailed to you within 15 days of payment of the fee.
Home Occupation Filing Procedure & Application (pdf)

Incomplete applications will delay processing and/or be returned.  Refer to the “Business License Fee Schedule” for feesYou will be notified either by mail or phone when your business license has been approved.  Visa Credit card payments are accepted either by phone or fax.  All other payments send to:

City Hall
Business License Dept.
34009 Alvarado-Niles Road
Union City CA  94587
Fax completed forms to 510-487-9361. 
If you have any questions contact the Cashier at 510-675-5343. 


To obtain the following information, please contact the numbers shown below:

Fictitious Names (Application/Filing)
Alameda County Clerk's Office
1106 Madison Street
Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 272-6363

Sellers Permit (Resale No.)
State Board of Equalization
1515 Clay Street, Suite 303
Oakland, Ca 94612
(510) 622-4100

It is illegal to operate a business in Union City without a valid business license.


© City of Union City, CA • Legal StatementPrivacy Policy Home | About Union City | Business | City Services | Site Map | Contact Us | Search