|New Smoking and Tobacco Regulations
Did you know that new smoking regulations have been adopted by the City of Union City?
Download and Print Your No Smoking Sign
The City of Union City promotes a healthy living environment and protects non-smokers from exposure to secondhand smoke where they live, work, and play. In November 2010, the City Council restricted smoking in rental complex units, unenclosed common areas, and outdoor dining spaces. Tobacco retailers also need to obtain a local Tobacco Retailer License.
- Smoking is prohibited in all rental complex (2+ units) common areas (enclosed and unenclosed).
- As of February 23, 2012 smoking in any rental complex unit, including balconies and patios, is prohibited.
- Smoking is prohibited in all outdoor dining areas of restaurants and surrounding 25 feet.
- Smoking is prohibited in parks, public events, and service areas (i.e., bus stops, ATMS).
- Clear, conspicuous, and unambiguous “NO SMOKING” or “SMOKEFREE” signs are required in places where smoking is not permitted.
Union City Municipal Code Chapter 7.13 Smoking in Public and Places of Employment
Union City Municipal Code Chapter 5.42 Tobacco Retailers
For more information, please refer to Municipal Code Chapters 5.42 and 7.13 or contact Avalon Schultz, Associate Planner, at (510) 675-5321 or ASchultz@unioncity.org.