Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling
The City of Union City requires projects subject to the C&D Recycling Ordinance (covered projects) to recycle.
- 100% of all Portland cement, concrete, asphalt concrete, non-contaminated soils, land-clearing debris and plant debris
- At least 50% of the local construction and demolition debris generated by a project
Which Projects Are Covered Under the C&D Ordinance?
- All newly constructed commercial buildings.
- All non-residential renovation projects where the total costs are, or projected to be, greater than or equal to $50,000.
- All demolition projects where the total costs are, or projected to be, greater than or equal to $25,000.
Applicants for non-covered projects shall be encouraged to divert at least 50% of all project-related construction and demolition debris.
How do I Comply?
Step 1: Before you Begin
Step 2: During Your Project
- Determine what types of materials will be generated on site
- Plan how you are going to handle all of the discarded debris
- Determine who is going to remove the debris and where it will be recycled
- Record information on the C&D Waste Management Planand submit with your building permit application. Ask your hauler, recycler or site cleanup vendor to assist you with this plan
- Submit a performance security and permit fee which shall be calculated as the lesser of three percent of total project cost or ten thousand dollars. Acceptable forms of performance security include performance bonds; surety bonds; money orders; letters of credit; and certificates of deposit.
- Other forms:
- Educate all contractors, subcontractors and employees about managing debris on the project site
- Keep all weight tags and receipts for debris sent to recycling and disposal facilities.
Step 3: Within 30 Days of Project Completion
- Complete and submit the Debris Recovery Statement documenting that the project’s diversion requirement was met
- Attach receipts from the vendor or facility which collected or received each material showing the actual weight or volume of that material
- Include any additional information the applicant believes is relevant to determining its efforts to comply in good faith with this chapter
- Report and receipts are needed prior to final permit approval
If the WMP Compliance Official determines that the diversion requirement has not been achieved, he or she shall determine on a case-by-case basis whether the applicant has made a good faith effort to comply with this chapter.
How do I Recycle Construction and Demolition Debris?
There are several options for recycling construction and demolition materials:
- Reuse or donate C&D material
- Separate recyclable materials on site and self-haul to various recycling facilities
- Self-haul mixed material loads to a mixed C&D recycling facility (See below)
- Hire a C&D recycling contractor permitted by the City
- Obtain a C&D debris box from the City's franchised hauler Allied Waste Services (510) 657-3500
Important note: Only Allied Waste Services may remove garbage from a job site. Individual recycling loads containing more than 10% garbage by weight or volume must be hauled by Allied Waste Services
What is a mixed C&D facility?
Mixed C&D facilities accept mixed loads of materials (i.e. cardboard, wood, metal, drywall, etc.) that they sort, process, and distribute. Going to a mixed C&D facility is a convenient option if you do not have the jobsite space to separate materials, and/or if you do not have the time to take sorted materials to various recycling facilities.
The following facilities accept mixed loads of construction debris:
- Fremont Recycling & Transfer Station, 41149 Boyce Road, Fremont (510) 252-0500
- Newby Island Landfill, 1601 Dixon Landing Road, Milpitas, CA (408) 432-1234
- Davis Street Recycling & Transfer Station, 2615 Davis Street, San Leandro (510) 613-8710
- Vasco Road Landfill, 4001 N. Vasco Road, Livermore (925) 447-0491
- Zanker Material Processing Facility, 675 Los Esteros Road, San Jose (408) 263-2384
- Guadalupe Landfill, 15999 Guadalupe Mines Road, San Jose (408) 268-1666
For questions or additional information, please contact the Building Division at 510-675-531