Dog Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Every dog owner must license their dog which is four months or older. This license must be renewed annually.

A current rabies vaccination is mandatory before a new license is issued. If a rabies vaccination is due for your dog, obtain the rabies shot and send in the new vaccination certificate with a dog license application. You may license for one, two or three years, based on the vaccination expiration date.  If your dog is unable to be vaccinated due to serious medical conditions, please complete the Alameda County Rabies Exemption Request and return it with your dog license application.

If your dog is neutered or spayed, it should be indicated on the rabies certificate. If not, you will need to mail the "Certificate of Sterility" with your application. Any documentation that you submit will be returned to you when your license certificate and dog tag is issued.

Click on Dog License Application [PDF] to view the form. Print, complete and mail to City of Union City, Animal License Department, 34009 Alvarado-Niles Road, Union City, CA 94587. For more information please call (510) 675-5312.

Dog License Fees (effective July 1, 2016):

Type/Term 1 Year  2 Year  3 Year 
Unsterilized  $29.00 $39.00  $46.00 
Unsterilized with penalty*   $43.00 $52.00  $59.00 
Sterilized  $14.00 $20.00  $23.00 
Sterilized with penalty*  $27.00 $33.00   $37.00

*Penalty rates apply if a dog license renewal is not paid within 30 days of due date.

  • Senior Citizen (60+) Pet License Discount: 10% discount
  • Change of owner, address, lost tag: $10.00

Animal License Cancellation Policy:

If you no longer own your dog, your dog has moved out of the City, or is now deceased, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to contact the City of Union City at the phone number, e-mail address, or mailing address specified below:

City of Union City, Animal License Department, 34009 Alvarado-Niles Road, Union city, CA 94587

510-675-5312 (Phone) (E-mail)