Industrial Accidents

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Hazardous materials can be found in our homes, retail stores, industrial businesses and railroad tracks. They are routinely transported by rail, and by trucks on local streets and highways. Consequently, there is always the possibility of an accident occurring.

When accidents or small hazardous spills occur on our streets or highways, these incidents can cause traffic delays, evacuations or shelter-in-place orders. In the event of a major release or spill resulting in a chemical emergency, authorities will instruct you on the best course of action. Sign up for Nixle to receive up-to-the-minute alerts on your cell phone, and stay tuned to KCBS radio at 740 AM for disaster declarations and instructions.

The Union City Environmental Programs Division, in the Economic and Community Development Department, is responsible for overseeing commercial and industrial chemical users.  For more information, go the City’s main website, or contact Environmental Programs directly at (510) 675-5358 or email

If you observe what you think is a life-threatening situation, call 9-1-1.  To report using the Union City Police Department’s non-emergency phone number, call (510) 471-1365.  You can also send photographs of dangerous or suspicious conditions by using the Comcate ServiceUC application available from the App store.