City Boards, Commissions & Committees

The City of Union City encourages people to become involved in their local community.One way to do so is to serve in an advisory capacity on one of the City's various commissions. If you are interested in serving on a City commission, please review the list of current opening by clicking on the link above.

Unless otherwise noted, meetings are held at City Hall, 34009 Alvarado-Niles Rd.

Planning Commission

Meets: 7:00 pm
1st and 3rd Thursday of the month

The Planning Commission serves as an advisory body to the City Council on matters related to City growth and development, promotes public interest in planning, and encourages citizen participation in formulation of the General Plan.
Park and Recreation Commission

Meets: 7:00 pm
2nd Wednesday of the month

The Park and Recreation Commission helps create a recreation program which will promote physical fitness and stimulate interest in the fine arts, namely: literature, music, dance, drama, painting and sculpture.
Human Relations Commission

Meets: 7:00 pm
4th Wednesday of the month

The Human Relations Commission (HRC) promotes and helps create a vibrant community in which every individual may live, work, learn and flourish. The HRC members are appointed by the Mayor and City Council and serve as an advisory board.
Senior Commission

Meets: 2:30 pm
3rd Tuesday of the month
Ruggieri Senior Center

The Senior Commission helps create and maintain a social environment in which all senior citizens can live in an independent, healthful and productive manner. The City recognizes the role that older adults can play in finding meaningful and creative solutions to the problems of the elderly, and values the contributions that they can make to the community at large.
Sports Advisory Committee

Meets: Quarterly
April | June | September | December

The Sports Advisory Committee examines issues related but not limited to sports activities in Union City.  The development of parks and facilities, field maintenance, permits, coaches training, and special events are just some of the topics discussed during these quarterly meetings. For more information call (510) 675-5808

Public Art Board

Meets: tba


The purpose of the Union City Public Art Board is to review and advise the City Council, City staff and project sponsors on proposed public art installations within Union City. The Public Art Board meets on an as needed basis. Meetings are typically on Tuesday evenings beginning at 5:00 pm. For more information, call 675-5319.

Union City Youth Commission

Meets: 4:00 pm
2nd Wednesday of the month


We provide a forum for local teens and youth to express ideas and communicate concerns. The committee works with Leisure Services to plan recreational activities and coordinate community service opportunities for teens. For more information call (510) 675- 5600

Youth Violence Prevention and Intervention Advisory Committee

Meets: 6:00 pm
1st Wednesday of every other month


We meet at the Ruggieri Senior Center, 33997 Alvarado-Niles Road, across the street from James Logan High School.

Transit Accessibility Advisory Committee

Meets: tba

We assist the city and Union City Transit and Paratransit in implementing and maintaining a high quality of service by gathering input from the user's perspective with regard to service policies, procedures, and other aspects of day-to-day operations. Meets quarterly. For more information call 675-5373.
Tree and Landscape Review Board

Meets: tba


We review landscaping at parks and public facilities. We Also hear appeals related to the Union City Tree Ordinance and serve in advisory capacity to the Park and Recreation Commission. For more information call (510) 675-5337


© City of Union City, CA • Legal StatementPrivacy Policy Home | About Union City | Business | City Services | Site Map | Contact Us | Search