Interested in running for elective office in Union City or just trying to find out where to vote? The City Clerk's office has all the information you need. As the Elections Official, the City Clerk is responsible for overseeing the municipal elections, distributing and receiving nomination papers, and maintaining all campaign statements and conflict of interest filings required by the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC).

Contact Information
City Clerk’s Office
(510) 675-5348

Candidate Information

none City of Union City Elections
none Eligibility for Candidacy
none Open Seats
none Term Limits
none Mayor/Council Compensation
none Nomination Period
none Placement of Political Signs
none Steps for Running for Office

Voter Information and Registration

none Qualifications for Registering to Vote
none Voter Registration Deadline
none Online Voter Registration
none How Else May I Register to Vote?
none Vote by Mail
none Polling Place Lookup/Sample Ballot
none Language Assistance
none Important Links

City of Union City Elections

The following information is for individuals wishing to run for Union City City Council.  Persons interested in running for offices on special district boards that represent Union City residents should contact the Alameda County Registrar of Voters at (510) 272-6933 for information.

  • The City of Union City holds its General Municipal Election in November of even-numbered years
  • The Mayor is directly elected and serves a 4-year term.
  • Councilmembers are elected at-large and serve 4-year terms.
  • To qualify, a candidate must be a registered voter of the City of Union City.
  • The City Council meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m.  In addition to the regularly scheduled Council meetings, Councilmembers will generally spend time reviewing material in preparation for the meetings, attend additional meetings as required, and may be required to travel.

Campaign Contribution Limit
Effective October 22, 2005, contributions to a candidate cannot exceed $600.00. Campaign Contribution Limit [UCMC Sec. 2.06.030] 

Eligibility for Candidacy
To be eligible to run for City Council, a person must be a registered voter of Union City at the time nomination papers are issued.  In order to qualify as a registered voter in Union City you must be:

  • A United States citizen
  • A resident of Union City
  • At least 18 years of age on the date of the next election
  • Not in prison or on parole for a felony conviction

Term Limits
The directly-elected Mayor and elected Councilmembers serve a 4-year term, with a full 3-term limit.  “Neither the Mayor nor any member of the City Council shall serve in the same office for more than three (3) consecutive terms.  For purposes of this Chapter, the office of Mayor and the office of City Councilmember are distinct offices.  At any municipal election after the expiration of two (2) years following said consecutive elective terms, a former Councilmember or Mayor may again seek election to City Council or as Mayor.” Mayoral and Councilmember Term Limits [UCMC Sec. 2.07.020] 

Mayor/Council Compensation
Current rate of compensation:

  • Mayor -  $2,437
  • Councilmember -  $1,625

Nomination Period
This is the period when individuals officially receive, circulate and file nomination papers for candidacy.

  • Nomination Period Opens:  Monday, July 14, 2014
    Please make an appointment to obtain nomination papers from the City Clerk/Elections Official by calling (510) 675-5348 .
  • Nomination Period Closes:  5:00 pm on Friday, August 8, 2014
    Nomination papers must be filed with the City Clerk/Elections Official not later than 5:00 p.m. on this date.  All relevant documents must be filed at the same time.  Please make an appointment to return nomination papers to the City Clerk/Elections Official by calling (510) 675-5348 any time before the close of the nomination period.
  • If nomination papers are not filed by an incumbent officer by the 5 pm deadline on August 8, 2014, the nomination period is extended by 5 days for that particular office. The 5 day extension of the nomination period is NOT applicable where there is no incumbent eligible to be elected (i.e., term limitations). (EC 10225)

Placement of Political Signs
Temporary political signs are allowed provided that such signs comply with the following conditions of the Union City Municipal Code:

  • Such signs shall not be allowed on sidewalks, street medians, public rights-of-way, public parks or other property, or where they may interfere with vehicular or pedestrian sight distance, nor shall they be affixed to utility poles, street signs or any public utility company or railroad property without the specific permission of the utility, railroad, or public agency
  • Such signs shall be naturally illuminated
  • Such signs shall be removed within fourteen (14) calendar days following the election

The main purpose of the City’s sign ordinance is to allow freedom of expression while preserving the public safety and aesthetics.  City staff consistently enforces the provision of this ordinance.  Collected signs will be held at the Public Works Department Corporation Yard located at 34650 Seventh Street. Sign Regulations [UCMC Sec. 18.30] 

Steps for Running for Office
Click here for Basic Steps for Running for Office

Qualifications for Registering to Vote
A person entitled to register to vote must be:

  • A U.S. citizen
  • A resident of California
  • Not in prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony
  • At least 18 years of age on the date of the next election
    (A person may register to vote at age 17 if he or she will be 18 on or before the next election)
  • California law denies the right to vote to persons who have been determined mentally incompetent

Voter Registration Deadline
The voter registration deadline is always 15 days before an election. However, please be advised that voters who register after the 29th day before an election will not receive a sample ballot or other election information by mail.

Online Voter Registration
You can complete a voter registration form online. This form will be printed and mailed to you for verification. When you verify that the information is correct the form must be signed and mailed to your county election official for the registration to be processed. To complete the online form go to

How else may I register to vote?
Voter registration forms are available in English, Spanish and Chinese at City Hall, the Union City Library, local post offices, the Department of Motor Vehicles, and at the Registrar of Voters Office located in the Alameda County Courthouse at 1225 Fall on Street, Room G-1, Oakland, California 94612. Persons may also call the Registrar of Voters at 510-272-6973 or contact the Secretary of State's Elections Division at (916) 657-2166.

For additional assistance with voter registration, please contact the Secretary of State's office at any of the following toll-free numbers:

  • English: 1-800-345-8683
  • Spanish: 1-800-232-8682
  • Chinese: 1-800-339-2857
  • Vietnamese: 1-800-339-8163
  • Japanese: 1-800-339-2865
  • Tagalog: 1-800-339-2957
  • Korean: 1-866-575-1558

Vote by Mail

Any registered voter may vote by mail. Mail Ballot requests made by mail must be received by the Registrar of Voters office seven (7) days before an election. Within 7 days of an election, you may apply for a mail ballot in person or by authorized representation at the Registrar of Voters office.

Polling Place Lookup/Sample Ballot

You may look up your polling place beginning 15 days before an election by calling (510) 267-VOTE (8683) or by going to the Smart Voter website.  Sample ballots are also available at:

Language Assistance

Pursuant to the Federal Voting Rights Act, all Alameda County registration and sample ballot information is available in Spanish and Chinese as well as English. For assistance in Spanish please call 510-272-6975. For assistance in Chinese please call 510-208-9665.

Important Links


© City of Union City, CA • Legal StatementPrivacy Policy Home | About Union City | Business | City Services | Site Map | Contact Us | Search