Household Hazardous Waste

It is illegal to place household hazardous waste (HHW) such as pesticides, poll chemicals, fluorescent lamps, medications, paints, and treated wood in any recycle, compost, or landfill bin/cart. Union City single-family and multi-family residents can safely dispose these items for free at an Alameda County Drop-off Facility or County-sponsored events throughout the year. Union City commercial business should refer to the "Small Business Hazardous Waste Service" section below for more information on how to properly dispose of hazardous waste.

HHW Facilities

There are two HHW facilities in Southern Alameda County (in the cities of Fremont and Hayward). To find other HHW drop-off facility locations or events and for more information about the program, call the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Program at (800) 606-6606 or visit  
close carousel
close carousel

Fremont Drop-Off Facility

41149 Boyce Road
Fremont, CA

Phone: (800) 606-6606

9 a.m.2:30 p.m.

9 a.m.4 p.m.

Hayward Drop-Off Facility

2091 West Winton Avenue
Hayward, CA

Phone: (800) 606-6606

9 a.m.2:30 p.m.

9 a.m.4 p.m.

What HHW Materials Are Accepted for Drop-Off? 

Paint Adhesives Auto Garden Miscellaneous
Additives Caulk
Ant Traps
Acids / Caustics
Latex Paint
Bleach / Cleaners
Oil Paint
Epoxy Batteries Gopher Bait
Fluorescent Bulbs
Shellac Mortar Fuel Herbicides Household Batteries
Solvents Putty Motor Oil
Pesticides Photo Chemicals
Stain Stucco Oil Filters
Rat Poison
Pool Chemicals
Wood Glue
Waxes Sprays Propane

What Materials are Prohibited for Drop-Off? 

Asbestos, explosives, railroad ties, radioactive materials, medical waste, most compressed gasses, computer monitors, CRTs and TVs, computers, radios, stereos, and electronic equipment will not be accepted. 

For information on the proper disposal of these materials, contact the Alameda County Recycling Hotline toll-free at 877-STOPWASTE or visit

Small Business Hazardous Waste Service

Alameda County offers this service for businesses, organizations, and agencies to drop off small amounts of hazardous waste safely and affordably. Due to Federal and State hazardous waste laws, businesses cannot participate in the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Residential Drop-off Service.

To participate in the Small Business Service:

Learn more about the Small Business Hazardous Waste Service: