Joining a commission is a great way to get involved with your community. At the end of each year, the City Clerk prepares and posts a list of expiring appointed terms for the coming year, the names of incumbents, and the dates of their appointment. The following is a list for 2020:
- Human Relations
- Park and Recreation
- Planning Commission
- Arts and Culture Commission
- Senior Citizens
- Bike Ped Advisory Committee
- DIPSA Community Advisory
Human Relations Commission meetings are held at City Hall on the fourth Wednesday of every month at 7:00 p.m.
- Shamsa Rafay Masood, Commissioner - Email Shamsa
- Dilip Sharma, Commissioner - Email Dilip
- Kashmir Singh Shahi, Commissioner - Email Kashmir
- Michele Wms-Smith, Commissioner - Email Michele
- Ann Yap, Commissioner - Email Ann
- Melissa Shuen-Mallory, Commissioner- Email Melissa
- Jonathan Pettey, Commissioner - Email Jonathan
- Nkechi “Bridget” Uzoew, Alternate - Email Nkechi
- Anson Tjing, Alternate - Email Anson
Park and Recreation Commission meetings are held at City Hall on the second Wednesday of every month at 7:00 p.m.
- Caroline Abellar, Commissioner - Email Caroline
- David Acosta, Commissioner - Email David
- Art Cipriano, Alternate - Email Art
- Charles Kennedy, Commissioner - Email Charles
- Seyi Mclelland, Commissioner - Email Seyi
- Glenn Nate, Commissioner - Email Glenn
- Steven Nichols, Commissioner - Email Steven
- Daniel Rivera, Commissioner - Email Daniel
- Cheris Crocker-Root, Alternate - Email Cheris
Planning Commission meetings are held at City Hall on the first and third Thursday of every month at 7:00 p.m.
- Raymond Gonzales, Commissioner - Email Raymond
- Lee (Presley) Guio, Commissioner - Email Lee
- Jo Ann Lew, Commissioner - Email Jo Ann
- Harpal Mann, Commissioner - Email Harpal
- Harris Mojadedi, Commissioner - Email Harris
- Scott Sakakihara, Alternate Commissioner - Email Scott
- Jeanelle Singh, Alternate Commissioner - Email Jeanelle
Arts and Culture Commission meetings are held on an as needed basis. They are typically held at City Hall, beginning at 5:00 p.m.
- Sarah Dalton-Erickson, Commissioner - Email Sarah
Senior Commission meetings are held at City Hall on the third Tuesday of every month at 2:30 p.m.
- Mary Anne Cresto, Commissioner - Email Mary Anne
- Harbhajan "Harvey" Dosanjh, Commissioner - Email Harvey
- Larry Gissible, Commissioner - Email Larry
- Mila Josue, Commissioner - Email Mila
- Estrellita Munsayac, Commissioner - Email Estrellita
- Dom Filardo, Commissioner - Email Dom
- Anita Roque, Alternate - Email Anita
- Ashvinkumar Panchal, Alternate - Email Ashvinkumar
The BPAC will meet on an as-needed basis. Meetings will occur on the first or third Mondays of the month in the evening.
- Jo Ann Lew, Planning Commission Representative – Email Jo Ann
- Steve Nichols, Park & Recreation Representative – Email Steve
- Mandeep Gill, Member at-large – Email Mandeep
- Timothy Swenson, Member at-large – Email Timothy
- Marty Ankenbauer, Bicycle Community Representative – Email Marty
DIPSA CAC meetings will take place in the evening on either the first or third Wednesdays of the month at City Hall.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis for all Boards, Commissions, and Committees and will remain valid 1 year from the date of submission. If you are selected to serve on a Board or Commission, the Political Reform Act requires that you file an Annual Statement of Economic Interest (Form 700) as well as complete biennial ethics training (AB 1234).
If you would like to apply for a position on a City board, commission or committee, applications are available the bottom of this page. Please fill out the appropriate application and return it to the City Clerk's office: at:
Office of the City Clerk
34009 Alvarado-Niles Road
Union City, CA 94587
Via Email: AnnaB@UnionCity.org
The City Clerk's office is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. City Hall is closed every other Friday.
Notice of Unscheduled Vacancies
None at this time
Alternate Senior Citizen Commissioner (1 seat) - The Senior Citizen Commission consists of seven (7) members whose purpose is to help create and maintain a social environment in which all senior citizens can live in an independent, healthful and productive manner. The City recognizes the role that older adults can play in finding meaningful and creative solutions to the problems of the elderly, and values the contributions that they can make to the community at large. The Senior Citizens Commission meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 2:30 pm.
Arts and Culture Commissioners - Commission will be responsible for encouraging and promoting art programs and activities within the City, making recommendations to the City Council regarding local visual and performing art needs, activities and programs, receiving and gathering input from the community on issues relevant to art policies, and enhancing community awareness of art resources
- Human Relations Commission Application (PDF)
- Park and Recreation Commission Application (PDF)
- Planning Commission Application (PDF)
- Senior Commission Application (PDF)
- Youth Commission Application (PDF)
- Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Commission Application
- DIPSA Community Advisory Committee Application (PDF)