Due to the unprecedented COVID-19 situation the Building Department has updated our processes until further notice.
City Hall is shut down to the public starting December 7 – December 23. City Hall will also be closed for furlough from December 24 – January 3. For assistance please call or email the Building Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 675-5313.
- Inspection Requests – The Building Department is currently capping the number of inspections per business day. Safety Protocol and Inspection Information Handout
- Over the Counter Permits– Applicants should use the updated fax, email, and mail-in process.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Affidavit – New affidavit self-certification for compliance of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms for residential projects. New Affidavit Form.
- Plan Submittals and Resubmittals – When possible please coordinate a mail in submittal/resubmittal with the Building Department staff. Email Building Staff.
- 2021 Hours of Operation (PDF)
- Alameda County and Utility Contact List (PDF)
- Authorization to Act as an Agent (PDF)
- Building Division Fee Schedule Fiscal Year 2019-2020 (PDF)
- Construction Hours (PDF)
- Construction Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling Requirements
- Credit Card Authorization Form (PDF)
- Permit Application Procedures - State Licenses Contractors Only (PDF)
- How to Schedule an Inspection (PDF)
- Owner-Building Note (PDF)
- Work Not Requiring a Construction Permit (PDF)
Adopted Codes & General Design Information
The Building Division adheres to the following standards:
- Volumes 1 and 2 of the 2019 California Building, Residential, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Energy, Fire and, Green Building Standards Codes
- 1997 California Codes - Administrative, Uniform Code for Abatement of Dangerous Buildings, Uniform Housing, and Uniform Security Codes.
- Basic Wind Speed - 85 mph
- Building Exposure - B
- Climate Zone - 3
- Rainfall - 1.5 inch/hour
- Seismic Site Class - D
- Soil Bearing Value - 1500 (presumptive)
- Soils Hazard Zones - East of Mission and West of Union City Boulevard
- Wildland Urban Interface Zone - East of Mission Boulevard
Other Important Phone Numbers
- Building and Residential Fire Sprinkler Inspection Hotline: 510-487-0711
- Commercial Fire Alarm, Ansul System and Commercial Fire Sprinkler Inspections: 510-675-5470
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling Requirements 510-675-5466