Our Building Division, located at City Hall, provides fast and convenient development-related services including plan checking, issuing permits, inspections, obtaining information on properties, and neighborhood preservation services.
Development-related services can only be initiated in person at City Hall. It generally takes us 2-3 weeks to provide you with results. Below are some forms that are helpful to look at and fill out before coming to City Hall.
To check the status of a plan review or for more general information, call Permit Technician, Brittany Davis at 510-675-5313.
To schedule a next business day inspection please call the Building Inspection Hotline at 510-487-0711.
- 2019 Hours of Operation (PDF)
- Alameda County and Utility Contact List (PDF)
- Authorization to Act as an Agent (PDF)
- Building Division Fee Schedule Fiscal Year 2018-2019 (PDF)
- Construction Hours (PDF)
- Construction Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling Requirements
- Credit Card Authorization Form (PDF)
- Permit Application Procedures - State Licenses Contractors Only (PDF)
- How to Schedule an Inspection (PDF)
- Owner-Building Note (PDF)
- Work Not Requiring a Construction Permit (PDF)
Adopted Codes & General Design Information
The Building Division adheres to the following standards:
- Volumes 1 and 2 of the 2016 California Building, Residential, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Energy, Fire and, Green Building Standards Codes
- 1997 California Codes - Administrative, Uniform Code for Abatement of Dangerous Buildings, Uniform Housing, and Uniform Security Codes.
- Basic Wind Speed - 85 mph
- Building Exposure - B
- Climate Zone - 3
- Rainfall - 1.5 inch/hour
- Seismic Site Class - D
- Soil Bearing Value - 1500 (presumptive)
- Soils Hazard Zones - East of Mission and West of Union City Boulevard
- Wildland Urban Interface Zone - East of Mission Boulevard
Other Important Phone Numbers
- Building and Residential Fire Sprinkler Inspection Hotline: 510-487-0711
- Commercial Fire Alarm, Ansul System and Commercial Fire Sprinkler Inspections: 510-675-5470
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling Requirements 510-675-5466