Building Division: The Building Division counter is open Mondays through Thursdays, 9:00 am to 2:00 pm, for over-the-counter permits, plan submittals and resubmittals. To ensure a smooth plan submittal/resubmittal process, please coordinate with the Building Division staff. Submittals can be accepted at the counter, through our drop-box, or by mail. For assistance please call or email the Building Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or 510.675.5313.
- Inspection Requests – The Building Department is currently capping the number of inspections per business day. We are currently unable to narrow down inspection windows, please reference the handout below.
Safety Protocol and Inspection Information Handout
- Over the Counter Permits– Applicants should use the updated fax, email, and mail-in process.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Affidavit – New affidavit self-certification for compliance of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms for residential projects. New Affidavit Form.
- Plan Submittals and Resubmittals – When possible please coordinate a mail in submittal/resubmittal with the Building Department staff. Email Building Staff.
- 2021 Hours of Operation (PDF)
- Alameda County and Utility Contact List (PDF)
- Authorization to Act as an Agent (PDF)
- Building Division Fee Schedule Fiscal Year 2021-2022 (PDF)
- Construction Hours (PDF)
- Construction Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling Requirements
- Credit Card Authorization Form (PDF)
- Owner-Building Note (PDF)
- Work Not Requiring a Construction Permit (PDF)
Adopted Codes & General Design Information
The Building Division adheres to the following standards:
- Volumes 1 and 2 of the 2019 California Building, Residential, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Energy, Fire and, Green Building Standards Codes
- 1997 California Codes - Administrative, Uniform Code for Abatement of Dangerous Buildings, Uniform Housing, and Uniform Security Codes.
- Basic Wind Speed - 85 mph
- Building Exposure - B
- Climate Zone - 3
- Rainfall - 1.5 inch/hour
- Seismic Site Class - D
- Soil Bearing Value - 1500 (presumptive)
- Soils Hazard Zones - East of Mission and West of Union City Boulevard
- Wildland Urban Interface Zone - East of Mission Boulevard
Other Important Phone Numbers
- Building and Residential Fire Sprinkler Inspection Hotline: 510-487-0711
- Commercial Fire Alarm, Ansul System and Commercial Fire Sprinkler Inspections: 510-675-5470
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling Requirements 510-675-5466