I'm a Homeowner

You can learn about homeowner repair, improvement and foreclosure resources, like discounts and funding, for qualified Union City homeowners. To find information about code requirements and development applications, go to our Development Services page.

Housing Rehabilitation

Renew Alameda County

Renew Alameda County helps homeowners make renovations necessary to stay, grow, and thrive in their homes. Renew AC can make your home improvement plans come to life—without breaking the bank. Renew AC provides 1% interest loans from $15,000 to $150,000 to qualified homeowners. Simple interest is accrued annually, with total interest never to exceed 50% of amount borrowed, and payments are deferred until the home is sold.

Renew AC is operated by Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley and is funded by Alameda County taxpayers who approved the Measure A1 Housing Bond in November 2016. 

Examples of eligible renovations - re-roofing, electrical and plumbing system improvements, creation of an ADU (some limitations apply), removal of mold and water damage, foundation repairs, ramps, etc. 

Contact Renew AC to apply:
Phone: (510) 803-3383
Email: HomeRepair@HabitatEBSV.org
Website: www.renewac.org
Program Flyer

Alameda County’s Healthy Homes Program

We work in partnership with the Alameda County’s Healthy Homes Department to provide high quality rehabilitation services to our local homeowners. The Alameda County Healthy Homes Department provides the following rehabilitation services for qualified low-income Union City homeowners:

  • Minor Home Repair Grants ($5,000 max) - grant funds for emergency repairs of plumbing, carpentry, electrical, railings, grab bars, toilets, water heaters, furnaces, doors, locks and more. Mobile-home owners may apply for a Minor Home Repair Grant.
  • Accessibility Grants - for seniors or persons with special needs to install ramps, railings, doorways, counter height modifications, etc.

Examples of non-eligible repairs: room additions, landscaping, pools and spas, kennels, etc. 

Contact Alameda County Healthy Homes Department to apply:
Hours: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
Phone: 510.567.8280
Website (ACHHD)
Housing Rehabilitation Brochure

The Earthquake Brace + Bolt (EBB) helps homeowners lessen the potential for damage during an earthquake. EBB offers a grant of up to $3,000 toward a seismic retrofit for qualifying older houses. In addition to the $3,000 grant, they are introducing a new grant specifically for low-income homeowners known as the EBB Supplemental Grant for Income-Eligible Homeowners (income up to $72,080 per household), as funding permits.

Registration for the program opens on October 18, 2022.

Please visit the website for additional information: https://www.earthquakebracebolt.com/

Low Income Weatherization Assistance Program

Spectrum Community Services manages the Low Income Weatherization Assistance Program. This is a federally-funded program that provides free energy efficiency improvements in the homes of qualified homeowners or renters. In an effort to reduce energy costs and consumption, Spectrum provides free conservation measures (including energy-efficient appliances and weather-stripping) as well as education on energy-related home safety issues to eligible residents of Alameda County. Contact Spectrum Community Services for more information:
2621 Barrington Court
Hayward, CA 94545-1100
Phone: 510.881.0300 ext. 272
Email: spectrumwx@spectrumcs.org
Website (Spectrum Community Services)

Foreclosure Information

If you are a homeowner who is going into foreclosure or fears going into foreclosure, there are resources to help you. Below are government and non-profit services that provide assistance to homeowners dealing with this:

Housing & Economic Rights Advocates (HERA)

HERA provides legal services to address mortgage, foreclosure, and HOA issues. For more information call (510) 271-8443 or email inquiries@heraca.org

Federal Housing Administration (FHA)

The Federal Housing Administration managed by the Department of Housing and Urban Development offers information and resources on Avoiding Foreclosure Resources. 

HOPE Hotline

The Homeownership Preservation Foundation operates the Homeowner’s HOPE Hotline, which provides free, comprehensive foreclosure assistance and housing counseling services around-the-clock. By calling them, you can learn about how to get help with your mortgage and possibly, qualify for the Making Home Affordable Program.
Call 1-888-995-HOPE (4673)

Project Sentinel

Project Sentinel provides education and counseling assistance to help homeowners who want to prevent foreclosure. You can contact them at their Milpitas Office:
554 Valley Way, Bldg. 4, Suite 554
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 470-3730