Home Improvement and Residential Development
Due to the unprecedented COVID-19 situation the Building Department has updated our processes until further notice.
City Hall is shut down to the public starting December 7 – December 23. City Hall will also be closed for furlough from December 24 – January 3. For assistance please call or email the Building Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 675-5313.
- Inspection Requests – The Building Department is currently capping the number of inspections per business day. Safety Protocol and Inspection Information Handout
- Over the Counter Permits– Applicants should use the updated fax, email, and mail-in process.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Affidavit – New affidavit self-certification for compliance of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms for residential projects. New Affidavit Form.
- Plan Submittals and Resubmittals – When possible please coordinate a mail in submittal/resubmittal with the Building Department staff. Email Building Staff
Most home improvement projects require residents and contractors to submit a building plan with supplemental reports and completed forms for city planners and inspectors to review. If you aren’t sure whether your project requires plans to be submitted, call the Building Division at (510) 675-5313.
Here is a list of forms based on project type:
- Demolition Permits[PDF]
- New Multi-Family Building [PDF]
- New Residential Home & Addition [PDF]
- Patio Enclosure [PDF]
- Wood Patio Cover [PDF]
- Residential Interior Remodels [PDF]
- Residential Seismic Retrofits [PDF]
The following is a list of common residential projects with links to detailed informational handouts. More information about a specific project is available by contacting the Union City Building Division at (510) 675-5313
- Requirements for Detached Accessory Structures in Residential Districts
- Requirements for Accessory Dwelling Units [PDF]
- Requirements for Walls, Fences, Hedges in Residential Districts [PDF]
- Residential Furnace [PDF]
- Residential Gas Water Heater [PDF]
- Residential Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm [PDF]
- Solar Photovoltaic Informational Handouts[PDF]:
- Work not Requiring a Construction Permit [PDF]