Home Improvement and Residential Development


Due to the unprecedented COVID-19 situation the Building Department has updated our processes until further notice.

City Hall is shut down to the public starting December 7 – December 23.  City Hall will also be closed for furlough from December 24 – January 3.  For assistance please call or email the Building Department at building@unioncity.org or (510) 675-5313.  

Submission Requirements

Most home improvement projects require residents and contractors to submit a building plan with supplemental reports and completed forms for city planners and inspectors to review. If you aren’t sure whether your project requires plans to be submitted, call the Building Division at (510) 675-5313. 

Here is a list of forms based on project type:

Informational Handouts

The following is a list of common residential projects with links to detailed informational handouts. More information about a specific project is available by contacting the Union City Building Division at (510) 675-5313

Examples Of Residential Seismic Strengthening Plans