Non-Residential Development

Are you building a non-residential development project in Union City? Below are some common non-residential development topics with links to information you need to know about each one. If you need more information for your project, contact the Union City Building Division at 510.675.5313.

Submittal Requirements

Complete sets of building plans, reports and documents are required for the plan check for construction. To verify whether your project requires plans to be submitted, contact the Building Division at 510.675.5313. Depending on the project, the Planning Division may have to review and approve the plans before approving building permits. Contact a planner at the Planning Division by calling 510.675.5319.

Storage Racks And High Pile Storage

All storage rack installations for any industrial or commercial use that are more than 6-feet high require a Building Permit prior to installation, as well as the submittal of structural calculations.

An annual operating Fire Permit for High-Pile Combustible Storage from the Fire Department is required for storage of combustible materials on closely packed piles or combustible materials on pallets, in racks, or on shelves where the top of storage is greater than 12’ in height. When required by the Fire Code Official, high-piled combustible storage also includes certain high-hazard commodities, such as rubber tires, Group A plastics, flammable liquids, idle pallets and similar commodities, where the top of the storage is greater.

Ensuring Code Compliance

Fire prevention inspectors conduct periodic inspections of facilities to ensure that business operations are safe and consistent with the conditions of approval. The Fire Prevention Bureau also issues permits and conducts inspections for special events such as festivals, events with tents or canopies, and fireworks booths. These services are provided under contract with Alameda County Fire Department, and are located at City Hall. For further information regarding these types of inspection and permits, contact Rebecca Lu at 510.675.5360 or

Districts And County Offices:

Alameda County Environmental Health Department – Restaurants
1131 Harbor Bay Parkway
Alameda, CA 94502

Union Sanitary District
5072 Benson Road
Union City, CA 94587