- City Services
- Waste Collection Programs & Services
- Multi-Family Residential Services
Multi-Family Residential Collection Program & Services
Multi-family property owners and managers are required to provide appropriate containers and subscribe to sufficient service levels to address all recyclable, compostable, landfill materials generated as per California's Organics Reduction and Recycling Law (Senate Bill 1383). Learn more about Senate Bill (SB) 1383 requirements here.
Do you have items to donate or don't know if you can recycle something? For easy options to reuse, repair, recycle or safely dispose of just about anything, search StopWaste's RE:Source Guide.
Household hazardous waste (HHW) such as chemicals, cleaners, fertilizers, paint, pesticides, propane tanks, sharps, and electronic waste require careful disposal by a certified facility and are prohibited in your recycling, compost, and landfill collection containers. Safely dispose of these items for free at an Alameda County HHW Drop-off Facility or at County-sponsored events throughout the year. For drop-off facility locations, hours, and a list of accepted items, call 800-606-6606 or visit www.StopWaste.org/HHW.
General Collection Guidelines
Your multi-family community will be serviced on the same day(s) each week unless the service day(s) falls on an observed holiday, which include Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. Learn more about the Holiday Collection Schedule https://www.unioncity.org/598/Holiday-Service-Schedule-Tree-Collection here.
Multi-family residents should contact their property owner or manager for assistance with service-related questions and requests. Multi-family property owners and managers should contact Republic Services or Tri-CED Community Recycling for assistance with service- and program-related questions and requests.
Please follow these guidelines to ensure clean and efficient collection service:
- Place bins/carts out by 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled service day.
- Lids must close completely. Do not overload your containers.
- Leave 2 feet between containers and any other obstacles.
- Keep bins/carts out of bike lanes and public rights-of-way whenever possible.
- Bins/carts should be out for service no earlier than twelve hours before your scheduled service day. Bins/carts must be returned to the storage area on your property within twelve hours of collection. Store bins/carts out of public view all other times.
- Ensure your materials are properly sorted to comply with State and City regulations. Recycle and compost bins/carts containing landfill materials (garbage) may result in additional collection service fees.
- Do not compact materials into your bin/cart to help ensure it is fully emptied when serviced.
- Overflow materials will not be collected. If you have extra landfill materials, contact Republic Services to purchase an "overage" bag, which includes the cost of disposal.
Have a Collection Program Question or Request?
Property owners and managers can contact Republic Services or Tri-CED Community Recycling for assistance with service-related questions and requests such as how to start collection services and determine optimal service levels to fit your community's needs.
https://www.republicservices.com/municipality/union-city-ca Dedicated recycling coordinators at Republic Services and Tri-CED Community Recycling are available to provide free technical assistance to help your multi-family community start or improve its recycle and/or compost collection program, comply with State and local recycling regulations, implement waste reduction practices, and realize potential cost savings.
Contact your haulers today and request to speak with a dedicated recycling coordinator for free technical assistance!
- Phone: (510) 657-3500
- Email: RecycleRep@RepublicServices.com
- Customer Service Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Phone: (510) 429-8030
- Email: Info@Tri-CED.com
- Customer Service Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
When in doubt, find out: Multi-Family Publications & Resources. For more information about Union City's curbside collection program, call Union City Recycles at (510) 675-5433.