- Living Here
- Waste Collection Programs & Services
- Bulky Item Collection Program
Bulky Item Collection Program
The Bulky Item Collection Program is available for single-family residential households with individual cart service. If you live in an apartment or multi-family property, please contact your property manager for instructions on how to properly recycle or dispose of large or bulky items.
Union City single-family residential households are eligible to receive two (2) annual Bulky Item Collections at no additional cost to conveniently, safely, and responsibly manage unwanted items that are too large or bulky. Set aside reusable and recyclable items to ensure these are collected for reuse and recycling and not sent to the landfill. Contact Republic Services at (510) 657-3500 to schedule your Bulky Item Collection.
Multi-family residents: Please contact your Property Manager to arrange for a bulky item collection for an additional fee. Alternatively, the Property Manager may request an open-top debris box for community organized clean-up events for the associated container collection rate.
Ready to Schedule Your Bulky Item Collection?
- Before beginning your home cleanup project, call Republic Services (510) 657-3500 to schedule a Bulky Item Collection. Your collection will be scheduled no more than 21 days of your call.
- A postcard confirming the date of the appointment will be mailed to you.
- Wait until the night before or by 6 a.m. of your scheduled Bulky Item Collection day to set items at the curb. If materials are placed out too soon, it may encourage others to add additional and/or prohibited materials to your pile, and your pile may not be collected.
- If items are not set out when the truck goes by, you will need to call in again to reschedule your Bulky Item Collection for another day, and you will be required to move your materials out of public view until a new collection is scheduled
Republic Services will collect a total of 4 cubic yards per collection (3 feet deep by 9 feet in length by 4 feet in height).
Acceptable Items - ArtÍculos Aceptados:
- One major household appliance per scheduled collection (water heater, washing machine, dryer, etc.); for safety, tightly secure or remove doors/lids
- Furniture, mattresses and box springs
- Tires - limit of 4 passenger car tires or smaller
- Small appliances and e-waste: TVs, computer monitors, CPUs, printers
- Oversized branches and prunings - please tie in bundles no more than 5 feet long or 6 inches in diameter
- Clean unfinished wood (no wood fencing)
- Loose items must be bagged or boxed or they will not be picked up
Prohibited Items - ArtÍculos Prohibidos:
- No hazardous waste (paint, solvents, pesticides, motor oil, car batteries); contact the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Program at (800) 606-6606 or visit www.StopWaste.org/HHW.
- No single item over 150 lbs (except furniture and appliances).
- No medical waste.
- No painted wood.
- No construction or demolition debris.
- No rocks, bricks, dirt or concrete.
Reuse is Best!
Before you arrange for collection of your items, remember the 3Rs - reduce, reuse, and then recycle. If unwanted items are still in good condition, choose to reuse, sell through a garage sale, consignment shop, or online community groups, or donate to any number of local non-profits and community groups. For easy options to reuse, repair, recycle or safely dispose of unwanted items, search the StopWaste online RE:Source Guide at www.Resource.StopWaste.org or call (877) 786-7927.
Low-cost Service Providers and Illegal Dumping
If someone offers to haul away your junk for a low price, it is likely that it is being illegally dumped. If your materials are found illegally dumped, you could be held liable for removal costs, penalties and fees, even if you did not illegally dump it yourself.
Para obtener esta información en español, por favor llame Republic Services al (510) 657-3500.