Landfill (Garbage) Collection Program

Before you dispose of something, consider if it can be reused, repaired, or donated.

Do you have items to donate or don't know if you can recycle something? For easy options to reuse, repair, recycle or safely dispose of just about anything, search StopWaste’s RE:Source Guide for reuse, repair, recycling and safe disposal options.

What is Accepted in My Blue Landfill (Garbage) Cart?

Reduce waste by opting for less packaging and for reusable bags/containers/utensils whenever possible. Consider donating other reuse options for your functional and reusable items.

Acceptable items include non-recyclables, non-compostable, and non-hazardous items such as:

  • Plastic bags, film, wrap (e.g., zip-top storage bags, shipping envelopes, bubble wrap, air pillows, and product wrap)
  • Plastic straws and utensils
  • Plastics labeled #3-7
  • Aseptic (shelf-stabled) containers (e.g., lined juice, soup, and milk cartons and pouches)
  • Snack packaging (e.g., chip bags and candy wrappers)
  • Styrofoam products (e.g., cups, plates, meat/seafood trays, packing peanuts and blocks)
  • Broken glass/mirrors (must be packaged safely)
  • Ceramics
  • Hoses
  • Plastic or wire clothes hangers that cannot be donated
  • Carpets, rugs, and mats that cannot be donated
  • Shoes, clothing, and toys that cannot be donated
  • Diapers and personal hygiene products (e.g., sanitary napkins, used tissue, and disposable gloves and masks)
  • Pet waste (must be bagged)
  • Treated wood such as lumber that has been painted or stained

What is Prohibited in My Blue Landfill (Garbage) Cart?

Recyclable and compostable materials may NOT be disposed of in your landfill cart as per California’s Organics Reduction and Recycling Law (Senate Bill 1383) and Union City Municipal Code Chapter 7.24. Recyclable and compostable materials must be sorted and placed in your recycling and compost carts, respectively.

  • Dirt, rock, asphalt, concrete, and brick
  • Tires
  • Construction and demolition debris
  • Household hazardous waste such as paints, batteries, and chemicals
  • Electronic waste such as televisions and computers
  • Used motor oil and oil filters
  • Fluorescent light bulbs/tubes
  • Medicines and medical sharps such as syringes and needles

It is illegal to dispose of household hazardous waste (HHW) such as chemicals, cleaners, fertilizers, paint, pesticides, propane tanks, sharps, and electronic waste in your recycling, compost, and landfill carts. HHW materials require careful disposal by a certified facility. Safely dispose of HHW for free at an Alameda County HHW Drop-off Facility or at County-sponsored events throughout the year. For drop-off facility locations, hours, and a list of accepted items, call (800) 606-6606 or visit

Download the Union City Residential Services Guide to learn what is accepted in Union City's curbside collection program and about other available services to help you reduce waste. 

Image of Trash Do's and Don'ts