Construction & Demolition Debris Recycling

CalGreen Update

As of January 1, 2017, State law requires 65% waste diversion for all new constructionand commercial renovations, and most residential additions/alterations. For more information visit the California Building Standards Commission website at:

The City of Union City requires construction and demolition (C&D) projects subject to the C&D Recycling Ordinance to recycle:

  • At least 65% of the local construction and demolition debris generated by a project;
  • 100% of all Portland cement, concrete, asphalt concrete, non-contaminated soils, land-clearing debris and plant debris.

Which projects are covered under the City’s C&D Ordinance?

  • All new construction projects;
  • All non-residential renovation projects where the total costs projected to be greater than or equal to $50,000;
  • All demolition projects where the total costs are greater than or equal to $25,000.

How Do I Comply?

Applicants are required to submit a Waste Management Plan (WMP) online using Green Halo Systems ( Also, applicants are required to upload all  recycling and disposal receipts a minimum of every 30-days. Prior to scheduling the final inspection, applicants are required to submit their Waste Management Report.

Important: The City of Union City also requires a Performance Security deposit. The amount of the deposit shall be calculated as the lesser of 3% of the total project cost or $10,000 USD.

  • Go to or call 1.888.525.1301 and create a Waste Management Plan (WMP). Input your project information including the Building Permit Number assigned.
  • If the WMP is incomplete, the WMP will not be approved and a permit will not be issued.
  • Using Green Halo, upload recycling and disposal receipts a minimum of every 30-days and submit the Waste Management Report before scheduling the final inspection.
  • The City will review the report and determine if you’ve complied with the diversion requirement.

Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling Options

There are several options for recycling construction and demolition materials:

  • Hire a C&D recycling contractor permitted by the City;Roll-Off-Box
  • Obtain a C&D debris box from the City's franchised hauler Republic Services (510-657-3500);
  • Separate materials on site and self-haul to various recycling facilities;
  • Self-haul mixed material loads to a mixed C&D recycling facility (see below);
  • Reuse or donate C&D material.

For the removal of solid waste from a job site, please contact the City’s exclusive franchised hauler, Republic Services, at 510.657.3500. Recycling loads containing more than 10% garbage by weight or volume must be hauled by Republic Services.

What is a Mixed C&D Facility?

Mixed C&D facilities accept mixed loads of materials (i.e. cardboard, wood, metal, drywall, etc.) that are sorted for recycling at the facility. Recycling job site materials at a mixed C&D facility is a convenient option if you do not have adequate space at the job site space to separate and store materials, and/or if you do not have the time to take sorted materials to various recycling facilities.

The following facilities accept mixed loads of construction debris:

What if the Debris from my Project is Contaminated?

If the debris from the job site are contaminated with asbestos, lead, or other hazardous materials, you must still complete the Waste Management Plan and designate the contaminated material for disposal and list the specific disposal site where this material is delivered. You must also obtain a letter from the disposal site stating that the material is contaminated and cannot be recycled. Lastly, please submit the letter to City staff through Green Halo to be exempted from the ordinance requirements.