Recycle Collection Program

Starting January 1, 2022, the State of California, Alameda County and the City of Union City require that compostable and recyclable materials be separated and kept out of landfills under the State’s Organics Reduction and Recycling Law (Senate Bill 1383). This law aims to reduce compostable and recyclable materials going to landfill by 75% by January 1, 2025. 

Senate Bill (SB) 1383 is implemented in Alameda County under the county-wide Organics Reduction and Recycling Ordinance and in Union City under Municipal Code Chapter 7.24, in partnership with Republic Services, Tri-CED Community Recycling, and StopWaste. 

Why Should I Recycle?

Recycling is the process of collecting and processing materials that would otherwise be sent to landfill and transforming these materials into new products. Recycling is important because it reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills, conserves valuable natural resources such as timber and minerals, prevents pollution and saves energy by reducing the need to collect new raw materials, helps create domestic jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries, and provides many other community and environmental benefits. 

Proper sorting makes a difference! When we recycle the right things the right way, we help our economy and the environment by ensuring quality recyclables can be recovered and delivered back into the economy instead of sent to landfills. We also help the City meet local- and state-mandated recycling goals. 

What Materials are Accepted in the Recycle Bin/Cart?

UC Recycle Poster 2022 FINAL - ENG Opens in new windowAcceptable items include:

  • Paper and paper products (clean and dry)
    • Magazines
    • Newspaper, including inserts, coupons, and store ads
    • Printing/writing paper
    • Junk mail
    • Catalogs and phone books
    • Shredded paper (sealed in a paper bag)
    • Cardboard (flattened)
    • Paper boxes (e.g., shoe and cereal boxes)
    • Paper egg cartons
    • Paper bags
  • Plastic bottles, jugs, trays, and tubs labeled #1-2 (clean and empty)
  • Glass bottles and jars (clean and empty) 
  • Aluminum and metal
    • Food and beverage cans and trays (clean and empty) 
    • Foil and scrap metal pieces (clean)

Help ensure recyclable materials can be recycled into their highest and best use instead of being landfilled. Rinse/wipe food residue and empty liquids from your plastic, glass, and aluminum containers. Do not bag recyclables.

What Materials are Prohibited in the Recycle Bin/Cart?

Compostable and landfill materials may not be disposed of in your recycle bin/cart as per California’s Organics Reduction and Recycling Law (Senate Bill 1383) and Union City Municipal Code Chapter 7.24. Compostable and landfill materials must be sorted and placed in the appropriate containers.

Other prohibited items include:

  • Plastic bags, film, and wrap (e.g., zip-top storage bags, shipping envelopes, bubble wrap, air pillows, and product wrap)
  • Plastic straws and utensils
  • Snack packaging (e.g., chip bags and candy wrappers)
  • Aseptic (shelf-stable) containers (e.g., lined juice, soup, dairy boxes, cartons, and pouches)
  • Styrofoam products (e.g., cups, plates, meat/seafood trays, packing peanuts, and blocks)
  • Grease/food-soiled paper (place in the Compost Bin/Cart)
  • Food scraps (place in your Compost Bin/Cart)
  • Yard trimmings (place in your Compost Bin/Cart)
  • Mirrors
  • Ceramics
  • Hoses
  • Plastic or wire clothes hangers
  • Personal hygiene items (e.g., diapers, sanitary napkins, disposable gloves/masks)
  • Pet waste
  • Carpets, rugs, and mats (if these cannot be donated)
  • Shoes, clothing, and toys (if these cannot be donated)
  • Dirt, rock, asphalt, concrete, brick, and construction and demolition debris

It is illegal to dispose of household hazardous waste (HHW) such as chemicals, cleaners, fertilizers, paint, pesticides, propane tanks, sharps, and electronic waste in your curbside collection bins/carts. HHW materials require careful disposal by a certified facility. Safely dispose of HHW for free at an Alameda County HHW Drop-off Facility or at County-sponsored events throughout the year. For drop-off facility locations, hours, and a list of accepted items, call (800) 606-6606 or visit

How Can I Become a Better Recycler?

Follow these simple guidelines to ensure recyclable materials can be recycled into their highest and best use instead of landfilled. We thank you for your efforts!

  1. Know what is accepted in Union City’s curbside collection program. Only place acceptable items in the recycle and compost bin/cart. Accepted materials include clean paper and cardboard, plastic bottles and jugs labeled #1-2, and metal cans.
  2. Keep recyclables empty, clean, and dry. Rinse/wipe food residue and empty liquids from from your recyclable containers.
  3. Keep recyclables loose when placing them in the recycle bin/cart. Do not bag recyclables. To secure shredded paper, use a paper bag and staple this bag shut before placing the paper bag in the recycle bin/cart.

For additional options to reuse, repair, recycle or safely dispose of unwanted items, search StopWaste' online RE:Source Guide.

Have a Question or Request?

Visit our Multi-Family Publications & Resources page to learn more about waste prevention, how to properly sort your materials, and other available programs and services.

Multi-family Residents: Please contact your property owner/manager for assistance with the following:

  • Large item collection appointments for items such as sofas, mattresses, televisions, and computers
  • Illegal dumping on premises
  • Missed collection
  • Overflowing dumpsters, bins, and carts
  • Graffiti
  • Broken dumpsters, bins, and carts
  • Obtaining a free recycle tote to collect and carry recyclables to the shared recycle bin/cart or a free kitchen pail to collect, store, and transport food scraps and food-soiled paper to the shared compost bin/cart. Limit one recycle tote and kitchen pail per household. 

Multi-family Property Owners and Managers: Recycling specialists at Republic Services and Tri-CED Community Recycling are available to provide free technical assistance to help your property start or improve its recycle and/or compost collection program, comply with State and local regulations, establish waste reduction practices, and realize potential cost savings. Free technical assistance includes:

  • Assistance signing up for recycle and/or compost collection service if you don't already subscribe. Did you know? Subscribing to recycle and compost collection services may help your multi-family community realize cost savings as recycle and compost collection services cost 40% less than comparable landfill (garbage) collection service.  
  • Waste assessments to determine the optimal collection service level for your property and potentially achieve cost savings. 
  • Decals - Technical AssistanceStaff/tenant trainings to ensure proper sorting, share best practices, and to answer questions.
  • Setting up indoor color-coded and labeled collection containers.
  • Educational materials such as posters, service guides, and outdoor/indoor container decals to educate employees, contractors, and tenants on proper sorting. 
  • General support to help your community maximize recycling opportunities and to reduce waste.

Contact your haulers today to request for free technical assistance!

Republic Services
Tri-CED Community Recycling
  • Phone: (510) 429-8030
  • Email:   
  • Customer Service Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 

More Information?

When in doubt, find out! Visit our Multi-Family Publications & Resources page to learn more about waste prevention, proper sorting, and other available programs and services. For more information about Union City's curbside collection program, call Union City Recycles at (510) 675-5433.