Landfill (Garbage) Collection Program
Contact your property owner/manager to learn how to safely and responsibly manage furniture, appliances, mattresses, toilets, sinks, water heaters, and large construction materials that are too bulky and do not belong in your landfill bin/cart.
What is Accepted in My Blue Landfill Bin/Cart?
- Plastic bags, film, wrap (e.g., zip-top storage bags, shipping envelopes, bubble wrap, air pillows, and product wrap)
- Plastic straws and utensils
- Plastics labeled #3-7
- Aseptic (shelf-stable) containers (e.g., juice, soup, and milk cartons and pouches)
- Snack packaging (e.g., chip bags and candy wrappers)
- Styrofoam products (e.g., cups, plates, meat/seafood trays, packing peanuts and blocks)
- Broken glass/mirrors (must be packaged safely)
- Plastic or wire clothes hangers that cannot be donated
- Carpets, rugs, and mats that cannot be donated
- Shoes, clothing, and toys that cannot be donated
- Diapers and personal hygiene products (e.g., sanitary napkins, used tissue, and disposable gloves and masks)
- Pet waste (must be bagged)
- Treated wood such as fencing that has been painted/stained
What is Prohibited in My Blue Landfill Bin/Cart?
Recyclable and compostable materials may NOT be disposed of in your landfill bin/cart as per California’s Organics Reduction and Recycling Law (Senate Bill 1383) and Union City Municipal Code Chapter 7.24. Recyclable and compostable materials must be sorted and placed in the appropriate containers. Other prohibited items include:
- Dirt, rock, asphalt, concrete, and brick
- Construction and demolition debris
- Household hazardous waste such as paints, batteries, and chemicals
- Electronic waste such as televisions and computers
- Used motor oil and oil filters
- Fluorescent light bulbs/tubes
- Medicines and medical sharps such as syringes and needles.
It is illegal to dispose of household hazardous waste (HHW) such as chemicals, cleaners, fertilizers, paint, pesticides, propane tanks, sharps, and electronic waste in your recycling, compost, and landfill carts. HHW materials require careful disposal by a certified facility. Safely dispose of HHW for free at an Alameda County HHW Drop-off Facility or at County-sponsored events throughout the year. For drop-off facility locations, hours, and a list of accepted items, call (800) 606-6606 or visit www.StopWaste.org/HHW.
Have a Question or Request?
Multi-family Residents: Please contact your property owner/manager for assistance with the following:
- Large item collection appointments for items such as sofas, mattresses, televisions, and computers
- Illegal dumping on premises
- Missed collection
- Overflowing dumpsters, bins, and carts
- Broken dumpsters, bins, and carts
- Obtaining a free recycle tote to collect and carry recyclables to the shared recycle bin/cart OR a free kitchen pail to collect, store, and transport food scraps and food-soiled paper to the shared compost bin/cart. Limit one recycle tote and kitchen pail per household.
Multi-family Property Owners and Managers: Recycling specialists at Republic Services and Tri-CED Community Recycling are available to provide free technical assistance to help your property start or improve its recycle and/or compost collection program, comply with State and local regulations, implement waste reduction practices, and realize potential cost savings. Free technical assistance includes:
- Assistance signing up for recycle and/or compost collection service if you don't already subscribe. Did you know? Subscribing to recycle and compost collection services may help your multi-family community realize cost savings as recycle and compost collection services cost 40% less than comparable landfill (garbage) collection service.
- Waste assessments to determine the optimal collection service level for your property and potentially achieve cost savings.
- Setting up indoor color-coded and labeled collection containers.
- Educational materials such as posters, service guides, and outdoor/indoor container decals to educate employees, contractors, and tenants on proper sorting.
- General support to help your community maximize recycling opportunities and to reduce waste.
Contact your haulers today to request for free technical assistance! appears to be an empty link with target https://www.republicservices.com/municipality/union-city-ca
- Email: Info@Tri-CED.com
For additional information and resources including how to order free indoor decals and customized signs, contact StopWaste at (510) 891-6575 (leave message for call back) or email email@example.com.