Multi-Family Property Owners and Managers: Requirements

California's Organics Reduction and Recycling Law (SB 1383) requires all residents and businesses to separate and keep recyclable and compostable materials out of landfills. When recyclable materials such as cardboard and compostable (organic) materials such as food scraps, food-soiled paper, and yard trimmings are disposed in landfills, they deconpost and produce methane, a climate change greenhouse gas contributor 80x more potent than carbon dioxide. Landfills in California are responsible for 20% of statewide methane emissions. 

SB 1383 aims to address climate change by reducing the amount of recyclable and compostable materials sent to landfills by 75% and by recovering and donating surplus edible food by January 1, 2025.

SB 1383 is implemented in Alameda County under the county-wide Organics Reduction and Recycling Ordinance and in Union City under Municipal Code Chapter 7.24, in partnership with Republic Services, Tri-CED Community Recycling, Alameda County Waste Management Authority (StopWaste), and the Alameda County Department of Health.

What Does This New Law Mean for Me? 

Multi-family property owners and managers must:

  1. Subscribe to recycle and cSB 1383 - Full Service Subscription ompost collection services. If you do not have these required diversion programs established, contact Republic Services at 510.657.3500 to start service. 
  2. Place color-coded and labeled recycle and compost containers next to indoor landfill containers wherever these materials are generated. 
  3. Ensure recyclable and compostable materials are properly sorted into the correct bin/cart. Periodically inspect bins/carts and provide feedback to users about incorrectly placed items.
  4. Educate employees, contractors, tenants, and students about SB 1383 requirements at least annually. Inform tenants no later than two (2) weeks after move-in and at least two (2) weeks prior to move-out about SB 1383 requirements.

Who is Responsible?

Multi-family property owners and managers are responsible for complying with the requirements listed above. If the property owner enters into a written agreement with another party (e.g., a property manager) that contracts or arranges for alternative recycle/compost collection service, that party is also responsible for compliance.

How Do I Establish or Improve My Recycling Collection Program? 

Dedicated recycling coordinators are available to provide free technical assistance to help your business/multi-family property start or improve its recycle and/or compost collection program, comply with State and local regulations, and realize potential cost savings. Free technical assistance includes:

  • Assistance subscribing to mandatory recycle and/or compost collection service. Did you know? Subscribing to recycle and compost collection services may help your property realize cost savings as recycle and compost collection services cost 40% less than comparable landfill (garbage) collection service.
  • Posters - Technical AssistanceWaste assessments to determine the optimal collection service level and potentially achieve cost savings.
  • Staff/tenant trainings to ensure proper sorting, share best practices, and to answer questions.
  • Setting up indoor color-coded and labeled collection containers.
  • Educational materials such as posters, service guides, and indoor/outdoor container decals to educate employees, contractors, and/or tenants on proper sorting.
  • General support to maximize recycling opportunities and reduce waste.

Request to speak with a dedicated recycling coordinator for free technical assistance today! 

Republic Services

Tri-CED Community Recycling

More Information? 

When in doubt, find out! Visit our Multi-Family Publications & Resources page to learn more about waste prevention, proper sorting, and other available programs and services. For more information about Union City's curbside collection program, call Union City Recycles at 510.675.5433.