CERT - Community Emergency Response Team
Are You Prepared?
A major disaster is coming—some time. It might be an earthquake, landslide, flood, wildfire, tsunami, or other serious disaster. Will you be prepared?
CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) is about readiness, people helping people, rescuer safety, and doing the greatest good for the greatest number. CERT is a positive and realistic approach to emergency and disaster situations—because emergency responders won't be able to reach everyone immediately in the event of most disasters, residents will initially be on their own and their actions can make a difference.
Union City CERT Objectives
- To foster closer relations between the Public Safety Departments of the City and the citizens of Union City.
- To promote general public knowledge of the functions, services, resources of CERT and the needs of the City during a disaster and to encourage individuals and groups to seek them out when appropriate.
- To promote awareness of the Public Safety Departments and provide a variety of training opportunities enabling members to assist the officers of the Public Safety Departments in the execution of their duties.
- To carry out fundraising activities aimed at furthering these objectives and supporting the Public Safety Departments.
- Lee Guio, CERT Coordinator
- Bonnie Roland-Williams, HR Director, City of Union City
- Don Uriu, Logistics Manager
- Jill Dutchover, CERT Program Coordinator
- Steven Miller, Communications Manager
- Bill Fournell, CERTMember
CERT Training Classes
Union City CERT and the Alameda County Fire Department (ACFD) offer an opportunity to participate in a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training academy in two weekends at the CERT building located behind Fire Station #31, 33555 Central Avenue in Union City. Class size is limited. Pre-registration is required.
To register, visit www.acfdcert.eventbrite.com, call 510.632.3473 ext. 1721 or 925.833.3473 ext. 1721 or email us. Please provide name, address and telephone number. Please note enrollment priority is given to Union City residents. Class registration if free and open to community members who are 18 years or older. Teenagers between 14 to 17 years old may participate if training is accompanied by a parent/guardian.
All training sessions will be held at the Union City CERT Building located at 33555 Central Ave. in Union City, (behind the Fire Station).
CERT teaches you how to keep yourself and your family from becoming victims in a disaster. CERT focuses on being prepared, staying safe, and helping others until emergency responders can get there.