Commercial Cannabis Business Application
About the Application Process
We welcome qualified applicants to apply and participate in our application process for an opportunity to be awarded a commercial cannabis permit. Applicants must abide by requirements laid out in the Application Procedures to Operate a Commercial Cannabis Business in Union City and in Union City Municipal Code (“UCMC”) section 5.44.030(D).
The City is seeking to award up to: three testing permits, two permits for cultivation, two permits for manufacturing, two permits for distribution, one permit for medical retail. Preference will be given to vertically integrated applications that include two or more uses in one location.
The application process to obtain a permit to operate a Commercial Cannabis Use (“CCU”) in Union City will open August 16, 2018 and will close December 7, 2018, pending City Council adoption of the application process, scheduled to be considered August 14, 2018.
Applicants are encouraged to attend a pre-bidders conference on Wednesday, September 19, 1:30 P.M. in the City Council Chambers. This will be the only opportunity to discuss the application process with staff.
Applicants who submitted a prior application for a commercial cannabis permit and were not recommended to the City Council for award of a permit are invited to reapply. Applicants who have received a City Council Declaration of Intent to Award a Cannabis Permit, may apply for additional permits for uses other than the tentatively awarded permit.
Before you submit your application
- Read the application procedures thoroughly to ensure that your application includes all of the necessary requirements and meets the standards.
- Review the Application FAQs for specific information on how to submit your application, required format of information and frequently asked questions.
- Obtain a Zoning Verification Letter from the Economic and Community Development Department. Fill out and submit the Application for Zoning Verification Letter to the Economic and Community Development Department during normal business hours. Submit proof of receipt with your online application. Please note additional zoning information below.
- Complete a Background Review Form and sign the Intelifi Background Waiver Form for each owner/employee. Submit with you completed application. Pay the Background Review Fee and submit your proof of payment with you completed application. Please note the Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Complete the required supplemental information:
- Proposed Location
- Business Plan
- Development Plan
- Site Safety Plan
- Security Plan
- Air Quality Plan
- Labor and Employment Plan
- Community Benefits
- Enhanced Product Safety
- Environmental Benefits
- Local Enterprise
- Qualifications of Principals
Online Application Information
The application must be submitted via our online application portal at www.unioncity.org/cannabisapp. You will need to create an account with a unique email address and password. Please note that the email address listed for the 24/7 Primary Contact person will receive the email notification indicating that your application has been received.
The online application allows you to start, stop and save your work, allowing you to complete your application over days or weeks. The form must be completely filled out before submitting it. Attachments must be in PDF format.
We prefer applicants to pay all fees using a Cashier’s Check or by credit card. There is a 2.25% convenience fee added to all credit card payments over $2,500.
We will not accept personal checks. We will not accept cash payments. All fees are processed in-person at City Hall at our Finance counter during normal business hours.
No refunds will be issued.
Expectations for paying your fees:
- The first fee you process should be your Zoning Verification fee.
- If you don’t have a proposed location, we don’t recommend you pay any fees.
- Background Review Phase 1 fee after you are able to process your Zoning Verification Form and Fee.
The fees are as follows:
Initial fees -
- Zoning Verification Letter - $272.00
- Background Review (per applicant) - $300.00
Phase 1 - $3,979.00
Phase 2 - $1,581.00
Phase 3 - $1,568.00
- Paid in Phase 3 - LiveScan fee (per applicant) - $174.00
Phase 4 - $2,030.0
The current application process allows for cultivation, distribution, manufacturing, testing and medicinal retail uses to locate in the ML (Light Industrial) and MS (Special Industrial) districts. You can click here to see a map of the ML and MS areas.
The ordinance requires that a cannabis business not be located within 100 feet of youth-oriented businesses. The youth-oriented businesses that currently exist in the ML (light industrial) and MS (special industrial) districts are listed below. The City Council has the authority to allow distances of less than 100 feet between a youth activity and the cannabis business if the applicant can demonstrate that an effective barrier exists between the youth facility and the prospective cannabis business. If you are planning to locate a cannabis business less than 100 feet from a youth activity, be prepared to explain in your application how the business and the youth activity will be buffered or separated.
Youth-oriented businesses in the MS and ML districts:
- The Tutors & Young Artists Club: 33412 ALVARADO NILES RD
- Kim’s Academy: 33507 WESTERN AVE
- Joanne Brown Dancers: 33535 WESTERN AVE
- Little People Preschool: 33700 ALVARADO NILES RD
- Pac West Gymnastics: 32920 ALVARADO NILES RD
- Pump It Up: 2995 WHIPPLE RD
- Trudance: 2829 WHIPPLE RD
- Ascend Rehab: 29516 KOHOUTEK WAY
- Complete Game: 29534 KOHOUTEK WAY
The application will be available on Thursday, August 16, 2018 at www.unioncity.org/cannabisapp.
Applications will be accepted between: Monday August 16 through Friday, December 7, 2018. The Final Due Date is December 7, 2018, 5:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time.
Phase 1: Monday, December 10, 2018 – Friday, December 21, 2018 (ten business days)
Phase 2: Monday, December 24, 2018 – Monday, January 21, 2019 (eighteen business days)
Phase 3: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 – Thursday, February 7, 2019 (thirteen business days)
Phase 4: Dates determined by the City Manager
Please note that the proposed dates above are tentative and subject to change. Check www.unionctiy.org/cannabisbiz for updated information on dates.