- Business Resources
- Business License
- Fireworks Regulations
- State-approved fireworks (also known as “Safe and Sane Fireworks”) as defined by California Health and Safety Code Section 12529 may be sold within the City of Union City pursuant to these Fireworks Regulations.
- Fireworks may not be used in City parks, on City streets or City property.
- Fireworks may not be used east of Mission Boulevard within the City.
- The City Manager is authorized to make and impose administrative interpretations and guidelines pursuant to these Regulations.
Please review the full resolution regulating the use of state-approved fireworks.
A Permit is Required
A permit shall only be issued to an organization. Only one organization per non-profit identification number and only one organization per school district/religious non-profit school shall receive a permit. An organization that is considered eligible to receive a permit are as follows:
- Any non-profit association, religious, charity or corporation organized primarily for veteran, patriotic, welfare, civic betterment and/or charitable purposes having active 501(c)(3) status or corporations which have obtained tax exempt status from the State Franchise Tax Board under Section 27301(b), (d), (f), (g), or (l) of the Revenue and Taxation Code; or
- An organization affiliated with and officially recognized by a school district that services in whole or in part the residents of Union City or a religious non-profit school located within the boundaries of Union City.
Each non-profit organization must maintain a bonafide membership of at least 20 members, 50% of members must be City residents, and the organization must have been organized and established within the City for a minimum of one year continually preceding the filing of the application for the permit.
The City reserves the right to require the applicant or permittee to submit a roster.
Applications for a permit shall be accepted by the City between April 1 and May 1 of each calendar year. The completed application and other required materials must be received by the City no later than 5:00 p.m. on May 1 of each calendar year.
The Permit Administrator, may, after reasonable notice and opportunity to correct, revoke the permit of any permittee who violates any other provision of these Fireworks Regulations.
Applications requirements are detailed here.
Regulations on Fireworks Stands and Sale of Fireworks
- No person other than individuals who are members of the organization, or the parents, wives or husbands or adult children of such members shall participate in the sale of fireworks at a fireworks stand.
- Fireworks stand operators must be at least 18 years of age. You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase fireworks from an authorized fireworks vendor. A purchaser must show proof of age when the purchaser appears to be under 30 years old.
- Fireworks may be sold pursuant to these Fireworks Regulations between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on July 1-3 and between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on July 4.
- Each fireworks stand is subject to at least 1 fire safety inspection during each day of sales.
- Merchandise shall be displayed in a manner that it cannot be handled by patrons reaching over the selling counter or through other openings in the fireworks stand.
Additional regulations on electrical requirements, structural and life safety requirements, location and placement of stands, handling and clean-up and public education can be found here.