Fireworks Laws and Safety

There is Zero Tolerance for Illegal Fireworks in Union City

In the City of Union City, as well as the State of California as a whole, only “safe and sane” fireworks are legal. Here is information regarding the local law:

  • Fireworks that explode or go up in the air are illegal. This includes firecrackers, bottle rockets and sky rockets.
  • “Safe and sane” fireworks can be used from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM on July 1-3. On July 4, they are allowed to be used until 11:00 PM. Fireworks are only allowed on private property. 
  • "Safe and sane" fireworks are only allowed on private property. 
  • No fire works are allowed in parks, school property and streets.
  • Fireworks vendors are allowed to sell "safe and sane" fireworks on July 1 from 12:00 PM to 10:00 PM; July 2 and July 3 from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM; and, July 4 from 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM. 
  • You must be 18 and over to purchase "safe and sane" fireworks from an authorized vendor in Union City. 
  • If you intend to use "safe and sane" fireworks on property other than your own, you must have written approval from the property owner. 

To report individuals using, possessing or selling illegal fireworks, call the non-emergency police dispatch line at (510) 471-1365. 

Fireworks may be harmful if they are not used safely and responsibly.

  • Sparklers account for 25% of emergency room visits due to firework injuries.
  • 18,500 reported fires in the US each year stem from fireworks.
  • It is suggested that you keep fireworks out of the hands of children and teens – as they account for nearly 25% of firework injuries.
  • It is advised that you keep pets inside when fireworks are going off to prevent anxiety, and dispose of them quickly to avoid your pet ingesting used fireworks.
  • It is recommended that you dispose of fireworks by soaking them in a bucket of water and placing them in a trash can away from any buildings or combustible materials.