Fireworks Laws and Safety
Enjoy a Safe 4th of July
Union City welcomes your participation in providing a safe 4th of July for all Union City residents. Please practice basic safety procedures in compliance with all laws.
- Only “Safe and Sane” fireworks are allowed in the City of Union City. “Safe and Sane” fireworks” means those fireworks defined and classified in Sections 12529 and 12562 of the CA Health and Safety Code.
- “Safe and Sane” fireworks may be deployed between 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM, July 1 – 4 on your private property.
- If you intend to use "Safe and Sane" fireworks on property other than your own, you must have written approval from the property owner.
- Deploy fireworks at least ten feet away from any dwelling or structure.
- Use fireworks under adult supervision.
- It is recommended that fireworks be disposed of by soaking them in a bucket of water and then placing them in the trash.
- Fireworks are not allowed east of Mission Boulevard, in City parks, on school property, and on City streets.
- Do not deploy illegal fireworks alongside “Safe and Sane” fireworks. Fireworks that explode or go up in the air are illegal. This includes firecrackers, bottle rockets, aerial shells and mortars.
- Property owners can be fined up to $1,000 if illegal fireworks are deployed from their property.
- Individuals possessing or deploying illegal fireworks from any location may be fined up to $1,000.
Let’s work together to stop the discharge of illegal fireworks. To report individuals using, or selling illegal fireworks, call the non-emergency police dispatch line at (510) 471-1365.
City Documents to review Fireworks Ordinance 2021
- Sections 12529 and 12562 of the CA Health and Safety Code.
- August 10, 2021 City Council staff report regarding fireworks regulations
- Public invitation to community meeting webinar
- Public Mailer for City Council fireworks public hearing
- September 29, 2021 Public Records Request
- October 5, 2021 Public Records Request
- October 26, 2021 City Council Staff Report
- October 26, 2021 Adopted Resolution 5844-21
- Union City Municipal Code Chapter 7.26
There is Zero Tolerance for Illegal Fireworks in Union City
In the City of Union City, as well as the State of California as a whole, only State Fire Marshal-approved “safe and sane” fireworks are legal. Here is information regarding the local law:
- Fireworks that explode or go up in the air are illegal. This includes firecrackers, bottle rockets, aerial shells and mortars.
- “Safe and sane” fireworks can be used from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM on July 1-4.
- "Safe and sane" fireworks are only allowed on private property.
- No fireworks are allowed in parks, school or City property, or public streets (curb-to-curb).
- Fireworks vendors are allowed to sell "safe and sane" fireworks on July 1-3 from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM; and July 4 from 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM.
- You must be 18 and over to purchase "safe and sane" fireworks from an authorized vendor in Union City.
- If you intend to use "safe and sane" fireworks on property other than your own, you must have written approval from the property owner.
To report individuals using, possessing or selling illegal fireworks, call the non-emergency police dispatch line at (510) 471-1365.
Fireworks may be harmful if they are not used safely and responsibly.
- 19,500 reported fires in the US each year stem from fireworks. *
- It is suggested that you keep fireworks out of the hands of children and teens under the age of 15 – as they account for one-third (36%) of firework injuries. *
- It is advised that you keep pets inside when fireworks are going off to prevent anxiety and dispose of them quickly to avoid your pet ingesting used fireworks.
- It is recommended that you dispose of fireworks by soaking them in a bucket of water and placing them in a trash can away from any buildings or combustible materials.
*Ahrens, Marty, “Fireworks Fires and Injuries,” National Fire Protection Association, June 2020.
Alameda County Health Services Order Compliance
This year, fireworks booths will adhere to any Alameda County’s public health service orders related to COVID-19 and retail sales that are in place from July 1 – 4, 2022. For more information about current County public health orders please go to http://covid-19.acgov.org/.