Commercial Cannabis Regulations and Program
About Union City’s Local Regulations
On January 1, 2018, California legalized cannabis use by adults 21 and older. In response to the changing State laws, Union City has taken steps to ensure proper and legal implementation of cannabis regulations, which have included the adoption of the following ordinances:
- Union City Municipal Code Chapter 5.44 - Cannabis Business Regulations
- Union City Municipal Code Chapter 18.117 - Zoning for Commercial Cannabis
- Union City Municipal Code 3.24 - Cannabis Business Tax
The City Council has the authority to choose how many commercial cannabis use permits are issued out at any given time. Through a resolution in November 2017, the number of permits was established at three (3) permits in each category:
- Medical dispensary
The resolution is still in effect today and does not allow for permits to be authorized for adult-use dispensary.
Current Commercial Cannabis Use Permitees:
- Eden Campus Holdings, LLC for cultivation, manufacturing, distribution and retail at 30540-30544 Union City Blvd.
- Jiva Life, LLC for retail for retail at 30547 Union City Blvd
To date, the City Council has declared intent to award 4 Commercial Cannabis Use permits to the following business:
- Name: Redwood Medical Supply/Application type: Cultivation, Distribution, Manufacturer, Retailer- Store Front
We are not currently accepting applications for commercial cannabis use permits at this time.
Cannabis uses are only allowed in the MS and ML Districts showcased on this map
Lauren Sugayan - 510.675.5400
Mark Evanoff - 510.675.5345