Commercial Cannabis Regulations and Program
About Union City’s Local Regulations
On January 1, 2018, California legalized cannabis use by adults 21 and older. In response to the changing State laws, Union City has taken steps to ensure proper and legal implementation of cannabis regulations, which have included the adoption of the following ordinances:
- Union City Municipal Code Chapter 5.44 - Cannabis Business Regulations
- Union City Municipal Code Chapter 18.117 - Zoning for Commercial Cannabis
- Union City Municipal Code 3.24 - Cannabis Business Tax
The City Council has the authority to choose how many commercial cannabis use permits are issued out at any given time. Through a resolution in November 2017, the number of permits was established at three (3) permits in each category:
- Medical dispensary
Current Commercial Cannabis Use Permitees:
- Eden Campus Holdings, LLC for cultivation, manufacturing, distribution and retail at 30540-30544 Union City Blvd.-
- Jiva Life, LLC for retail at 30547 Union City Blvd.
- Flor East Bay, LLC for retail, located at 31000 Courthouse Drive
- Application Procedures to Operate a Commercial Cannabis Business in Union City
- Online Application Form
Applications will be accepted only online between October 13, 2021 through November 18, 2021. The Application Due Date is November 18, 2021, 4:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time.
- Phase 1: November 19, 2021 - December 3, 2021(eight business days)
- Phase 2: December 6, 2021 - January 10, 2022 (twenty-three business days)
- Phase 3: January 11, 2021 - January 20, 2022 (six business days)
- Phase 4: Dates will be determined by City Manager
Please note that the proposed dates above are tentative and subject to change. Check for updated information on dates. Please review the application procedures for more detailed information.
For general questions about the application process, contact the City Manager's Office:
- Mark Evanoff, Deputy City Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment of Application Fees
Payments must be made by a certified check, cashier’s check, money order payable to the City of Union City or credit card. There is a 2.25% convenience fee added to all credit card payments over $2,500.00
Applicants are required to pay the application fees for all four phases totaling $9,158.00. Applicants who do not advance to Phases 2, 3, or 4 will be provided refunds for the application fees for the phase(s) in which they did not participate as noted below.
- Phase 1: Preliminary determination of eligibility $3,979.00
- Phase 2: Evaluation and ranking by consultant team $1,581.00
- Phase 3: Evaluation and ranking by City Selection Committee $1,568.00 plus the Live/Scan Fee for each owner and investor.
- Phase 4: City Manager evaluation and recommendation $2,030.00
In addition to the Phase 1-4 application fees, the following non-refundable fees will also need to be paid prior to submitting the application.
- Criminal History Check, $300 paid to HdL Companies for each owner and investor listed in the application.
- Life Scan Fee $174 per owner and investor listed in the application.
- Zoning Verification Letter $294.00