Commercial Cannabis Regulations and Program
In 2015, the State of California passed the Medical Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MCRSA) creating a licensing process for commercial medical cannabis and allowing cities the option to allow or disallow commercial cultivation, manufacturing and dispensing. In 2016, California voters approved Proposition 64, the Adult Use of Marijuana Act (AUMA), legalizing the private, non-medical use of cannabis. In 2017, Governor Jerry Brown signed into law SB 94 merging MCRSA and AUMA together to create a single regulatory system for medical and nonmedical commercial cannabis businesses. Cities are responsible for setting regulations for their community.
In November 2017, the City Council voted passed the following amendments to establish a regulatory system for commercial cannabis businesses to operate in Union City:
- Zoning Text Amendment: Commercial Uses with Exhibit A to Zoning Text Amendments Commercial Uses
- Municipal Code Amendment: Commercial Cannabis Uses with Exhibit A to Municipal Code Amendment Commercial Cannabis Uses
The following commercial cannabis uses are allowed to operate in Union City under strict regulations: Cultivation, Manufacturing, Distribution, Testing and Dispensary. The City Council has the authority to choose how many commercial cannabis use permits are issued out at any given time. All companies interested in a commercial cannabis use permit must go through a rigorous vetting process and must get approved by the City Council.
Lauren Sugayan - 510.675.5400
Mark Evanoff - 510.675.5345
We are not currently accepting applications for commercial cannabis use permits at this time.
Applicants are required to abide by the Application Procedures to Operate a Commercial Cannabis Business in Union City and in Union City Municipal Code (“UCMC”) section 5.44.030(D).
Application and Permit Update
The City Council has approved Commercial Cannabis Use permits to the following businesses:
- Eden Campus Holdings, LLC for cultivation, manufacturing, distribution and medical retail at 30540-30544 Union City Blvd.
- Jiva Life, LLC for medical retail at 29400 Kohoutek Way, #100.
The City administered a second application process that closed on December 7, 2018. Here are the applicants that submitted applicants and were evaluated for Phase 1 of the application process:
- Name: Harvest of Union City/Application type: Distribution, Manufacturer, Retailer- Store Front, Retailer- No Store Front
- Name: Redwood Medical Supply/Application type: Cultivation, Distribution, Manufacturer, Retailer- Store Front
- Name: Sea of Green Management/Application type: Retailer-Store Front
- Name: Union City Ventures/Application type: Distribution, Retailer- Store Front
- Name: Element 7 LLC/Application type: Cultivation, Distribution, Manufacturer, Retailer- Store Front, Retailer- No Store Front
Delivery of Cannabis into Union City
Pursuant to UCMC 5.44.060(E), cannabis deliveries are prohibited without a commercial cannabis permit that is awarded through the application process.
UCMC 5.44.060(E) provides:
E. Delivery. Deliveries of cannabis in the City shall only be permitted for operators that obtain a permit under this chapter for cannabis dispensaries and operates from a premises within the City. Such operators shall be in conformance with State law, shall be subject to the permit procedures and requirements for cannabis dispensaries under Section 5.44.050.