Five-Year City Strategic Plan
About the Strategic Planning Process
A strategic plan is a vital tool for local jurisdictions to ensure that the priorities set by the City Council are conveyed in the organization’s goals, that strategies are clearly developed to meet the goals, and that overall city government is accountable to meeting community needs.
The City initiated a strategic planning process in January 2019. The process began with a community survey of residents and community leaders garnering over 800 responses. The City also conducted an assessment of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of the community and the City organization. This was formed into an Environmental Scan report:
- Environmental Scan - this is a report that identifies influencing internal and external factors of the next five years, critical to understanding the City's challenges and how to plan for them.
- Environmental Scan Presentation
A five-year strategic plan was ultimately developed after three workshops were held to prioritize community needs into a renewed vision, mission and values and the formation of five goals.
The 2020-2025 Strategic Plan was unanimously adopted by the City Council on October 8, 2019:
Several community meetings have been held to introduce the City's strategic plan to the community. If you would like to learn more about it or be considered for a City presentation, you can reach out to Lauren Sugayan at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 510.675.5400.
Strategic Plan Goals
- Goal A. Financial Stability and Sustainability - Foster fiscal health through disciplined long-term planning, cost control, heightened efficiency, increased revenue and cost recovery.
- Goal B. Governance and Organization Effectiveness - Produce high-quality services to the community through a commitment to local government best practices and employee development, support and retention.
- Goal C. Economic, Community Development and Public Safety - Institute forward-thinking business, land use development, housing, social services, and public safety strategies that promote community growth and innovation.
- Goal D. Environmental Sustainability and Infrastructure - Create a healthy, sustainable community and maintain and improve the City’s infrastructure.
- Goal E. Communication and Outreach - Build strong connections with community partners, residents and employees.
Implementation & Reporting
The City will move forward and begin implementation of the strategic plan, which will span over five years. Ensuring the strategic plan's alignment with the City's budget process, capital improvement plan, important policy decisions, economic development initiatives and public safety priorities will all be key measures of success.
The City will provide a report to the City Council at least annually to report on progress to achieve the plan. The annual reporting process will also give the City Council an opportunity to update two-year priorities.
For more information, contact Lauren Sugayan at email@example.com.