Five-Year City Strategic Plan
A strategic plan is a vital tool for local jurisdictions to ensure that the priorities set by the City Council are conveyed in the organization’s goals, that strategies are clearly developed to meet the goals, and that overall city government is accountable to meeting community needs.
The City Council adopted its five-year strategic plan in October 2019, which included a renewed community vision, mission and values and five goals.
Strategic Plan Goals
There are 59 strategies that are identified in the strategic plan to help achieve the goals below.
- Goal A. Financial Stability and Sustainability - Foster fiscal health through disciplined long-term planning, cost control, heightened efficiency, increased revenue and cost recovery.
- Goal B. Governance and Organization Effectiveness - Produce high-quality services to the community through a commitment to local government best practices and employee development, support and retention.
- Goal C. Economic, Community Development and Public Safety - Institute forward-thinking business, land use development, housing, social services, and public safety strategies that promote community growth and innovation.
- Goal D. Environmental Sustainability and Infrastructure - Create a healthy, sustainable community and maintain and improve the City’s infrastructure.
- Goal E. Communication and Outreach - Build strong connections with community partners, residents and employees.
Implementation & Reporting
The City will move forward and begin implementation of the strategic plan, which will span over five years. Ensuring the strategic plan’s alignment with the City’s budget process, capital improvement plan, important policy decisions, economic development initiatives and public safety priorities will all be key measures of success.
The City will provide a report to the City Council at least annually to report on progress to achieve the plan. The annual reporting process will also give the City Council an opportunity to update two-year priorities.
August 13, 2020 City Council Retreat
- Report on Year 1 Progress & Challenges
- Attributes of Exceptional Councils
- Commissioner Code of Conduct
For More Information
Reach out to Lauren Sugayan at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 510.675.5400.