City Service Updates and Impacts
- Community and Recreation Services
- Library Services
- City Administrative Services
- Facility & Police Lobby Closures
- Waste Collection & Recycling
Updates to Community & Recreation Services, as of July 6, 2020
The Community & Recreation Services Department continues to monitor the Alameda County Public Health orders and is observing guidance from other public health agencies to evaluate and modify programs as well as the use of City facilities. We expect that operational restrictions will still apply even as the shelter in place orders are eased or lifted. We appreciate your ongoing patience as we work to prepare public areas and programs that will meet public health orders and maintain safe practices by the time of reopening begins.
Below is a list an updated list of schedule changes for Community & Recreation Services’ facilities, programs and events through July 31, 2020:
Closed City Facilities
- Holly Community Center, 31600 Alvarado Blvd.
- Kennedy Youth Center, 1333 Decoto Road
- Mark Green Sports Center, 31224 Union City Blvd.
- Ruggieri Senior Center, 3397 Alvarado-Niles Road
- Studio 11, 34626 11th Street
- Larry Orozco Teen Workshop, 33623 Mission Blvd.
- Dan Oden Swim Complex
- All Sports Fields
- All Picnic Sites, Park Restrooms, Playgrounds, Par Courses and Water Fountains
Open Programs & Facilities
* preregistration is required
- Outdoor Group Exercise Classes(Mark Green Sports Center Parking Lot) *
- Mondays - Starting 7/13
- Fab Fit with Carmen @ 9:30 am
- Zumba with Bob @ 4:30 pm
- Mondays - Starting 7/13
- Licensed Preschool (Holly and Kennedy Centers) *
- Summer Day Camps (Kennedy Park & Old Alvarado/Cesar Chavez Park) *
- Tennis Camp and Tennis Lessons (Veteran’s Memorial Park) *
- Special Interest Camps: Girl’s Lotus and Mad Science *
- Social Bubble Youth Sports Programs (Town Estates Park) *
- Senior Programs*
- Senior To Go Lunches (Ruggieri Senior Center parking lot)
- Social Distancing Walking Group (Quarry Lakes)
- Virtual Senior Classes (Meditation, Ukulele, Falls Prevention, Hula and Sign Language)
- Virtual Community Center for online classes, camps and other activities
- Drigon Dog Park
- Masks should be worn and social distancing be maintained
- Bring own poop bags and water
- Tennis Courts at Veteran’s Memorial Park
- Play is singles only unless playing doubles with those from same household
- Social Distancing must be maintained
- No congregating before or after play.
- John Haley Community Garden
- Skate Park
- Youth & Family Services offices are open for phone calls and prescheduled appointments only (for more information call 510-675-5617 and add link to their page).
Union City Library resumes limited operations
The Union City Library has begun to resume operations with limited hours for no contact pickup of library materials by appointment only.
Here is a link for additional information about how to use their service: https://guides.aclibrary.org/NoContactPickup
The current hours for pickup are:
Limited Administrative Services Become Available Monday, May 11
Starting Monday, May 11, City Administrative Offices will partially reopen in order to process building permits, development applications, permit payments, and business licenses since the County’s new revised order now allows for construction projects to resume in the area. These limited services will be provided by appointment Monday through Thursday from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
All customers will be required to wear a face covering and will have to follow safety protocols conveyed on public signage and monitored by customer service representatives in the lobby.
In alignment with the County’s Public Health Emergency Order, City staff will be making every attempt to limit exposure to the public by first utilizing online payment systems, or engaging with customers by phone, email or mail. Appointments are required for any in-person visits.
Available Finance Services include:
- Licenses (Business/Animal License)
- Permits (Alarm Permit)
- Payments (Building Permits, Fire, Zoning Apps, Encroachment Permits, Parking Permits, etc)
- Miscellaneous (Updating/Closing Accounts
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 510.675.5312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
No Clipper Card and Paratransit transactions will be processed. For more information, visit www.clippercard.com
Available Building Services include:
- · Intake and processing of building permits applications
- Building permit submittals and resubmittals shall be mailed or placed in the designated dropbox located at City Hall.
- Applications for certain minor “over the counter” permits shall be mailed, emailed or faxed in. Click here for more information.
- Building Inspections – Please note that the City has updated its scheduling process. Click here for more information.
- Customer service inquiries via phone or email.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 510.675.5313 or email email@example.com.
Available Planning Services include:
- Intake and processing of planning applications and zoning compliance requests for uses / development consistent with the State and/or County Orders
- Application submittals or resubmittals shall be mailed or placed in the designated dropbox located at City Hall.
- Customer service inquiries via phone or email.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 510.675.5319 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit the Planning Division website at https://www.unioncity.org/208/Planning
These City Facilities Remained Closed to the Public
Effective March 16, 2020, the following facilities are closed to public access until further notice:
- Corporation Yard – 34650 7th Street
- Decoto Resource Center – 505 H Street
Police Lobby Remains Closed
For Police Department front counter services and availability, please call the records section at 510. 675.5235 Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
RIDER ALERT: Union City Transit starts a new schedule on July 5, 2020 through December 31, 2020 in response to COVID-19. Routes 7, 8, and 9 are suspended during this time; use Routes 1, 2, 3, 4. and 5 along with AC Transit Lines 41, 56, and 97 to reach your destination.
Face Coverings are required at all times on transit vehicles. Rear door boarding and exiting is in effect unless otherwise directed by driver. Fares are not enforced until further notice and here are no Clipper Card sales available at City Hall.
Union City Paratransit is operating regular hours, but has suspending all Paratransit Plus service into Fremont, Hayward, and Newark. Paratransit ticket book sales have been suspended at City Hall and via PayPal; Safeway will continue to sell ticket books until they run out and will be restocked once fare enforcement resumes. Union City Paratransit does still require certification and a reservation. Paratransit riders may be asked additional health questions before boarding the vehicle. Face Coverings are required at all times on transit vehicles; if a client cannot wear a face covering, please coordinate with the reservations.
All actions are being made pursuant to state directives, the Alameda County Health Officer’s latest Health Order, and industry best practices to keep riders and drivers safe.
Garbage & Recycling Services
All Normal Waste Collection Services Resume June 1, 2020:
- Republic Services and Tri-CED Community Recycling continue to provide Union City residents and businesses with regular garbage, recycling, and organics services. Please ensure containers are accessible for pick-up on the usual weekly service day(s).
- Bulky item collection available: Schedule your bulky or large item pick-up appointment by contacting Republic Services at 510-657-3500. Union City single-family residents receive two free bulky item pick-ups per year.
- Used motor oil/filters and household batteries: Tri-CED provides curbside collection of residential oil jugs/filters, battery bags, and cellphones. They will also take extra cardboard if it is flattened and stacked neatly next to your carts on the regular pick-up day.
- Service schedule Garbage, recycling, and organics collection vehicles may service your containers earlier or later than your usual time. This allows the haulers to stagger route start times in order to limit the number of employees gathering and deploying at any one time. Please keep your containers out from 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. on your regular collection day until they are serviced.
- Commercial account changes assistance: Businesses may contact Republic Services or Tri-CED (contacts below) to temporarily suspend account services due to no current waste being generated onsite during the Shelter in Place Order or make other service adjustments.
- Buy-Back Recycling Center: Tri-CED’s bottles and cans redemption facility at 33377 Western Ave, Union City is open during regular business hours (Tuesday-Saturday from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM). Please exercise social distancing while at the recycling center.
- Administrative Offices: Republic Services and Tri-CED front offices are closed to walk-in customers. However, customer service representatives are still available and ready to assist. Where to go for questions:
Union City Recycles
Email email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Call 510.675.5466 or 510.675.5353
For garbage services; commercial recycling/organics bin & debris boxes call 510.657.3500,
email CustomerFirst4916@republicservices.com or go to www.RepublicServicesAC.com.
Tri-CED Community Recycling
For recycling and organics cart services call 510.429.8030, email email@example.com or go to www.Tri-Ced.org.