City Service Updates and Impacts
- Community and Recreation Services
- Library Services
- City Administrative Services
- Facility & Police Lobby Closures
- Waste Collection & Recycling
Updates to Community & Recreation Services, as of December 7, 2020
The Community & Recreation Services Department continues to monitor Alameda County Public Health orders and is observing guidance from other public health agencies to evaluate and modify programs as well as the use of City facilities. We appreciate your ongoing patience as we work to prepare public areas and programs that will meet public health orders and maintain safe practices by the time of reopening begins.
Below is a list an updated list of schedule changes for Community & Recreation Services’ facilities, programs and events through 12/23/2020
Closed City Facilities
Holly Community Center, 31600 Alvarado Blvd.
Kennedy Youth Center, 1333 Decoto Road
Mark Green Sports Center, 31224 Union City Blvd.
Ruggieri Senior Center, 3397 Alvarado-Niles Road
Studio 11, 34626 11th Street
Larry Orozco Teen Workshop, 33623 Mission Blvd.
Dan Oden Swim Complex
All Picnic Sites, Park Restrooms, Par Courses, and Water Fountains
Open Programs & Facilities
* preregistration is required
Outdoor Group Exercise Classes(Mark Green Sports Center Parking Lot) *
- Monday & Friday mornings
Licensed Preschool (Holly and Kennedy Centers) *
School Daze Distance Learning supervision and after-school care *
Tennis Lessons *
Social Bubble Youth Sports Programs*
- Senior To Go Lunches (Ruggieri Senior Center parking lot) *
- Social Distancing Walking Group (Quarry Lakes)
- Virtual Senior Classes (Meditation, Ukulele, Falls Prevention, Hula and Sign Language) *
- Senior Car Bingo
Virtual Community Center for online classes and other activities
Drigon Dog Park
- Masks should be worn and social distancing be maintained
- Bring own poop bags and water
Tennis Courts at Veteran’s Memorial Park
- Play is singles only unless playing doubles with those from same household
- Social Distancing must be maintained
- No congregating before or after play.
John Haley Community Garden
Sports Fields by permit use only.
Youth & Family Services are open for phone calls and prescheduled appointments only. For more information call 510-675-5617 or visit their website here: https://www.unioncity.org/182/Youth-Family-Services
Union City Library resumes limited operations
The Union City Library has begun to resume operations with limited hours for no contact pickup of library materials by appointment only.
Here is a link for additional information about how to use their service: https://guides.aclibrary.org/NoContactPickup
The current hours for pickup are:
Wednesday 1:00 - 5:00pm
Thursday 1:00 - 7:00pm
Friday 1:00 - 5:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Administrative Services Move to Online From December 7 to December 23
Starting Monday, December 7, City Administrative Offices will be closed to the public, in response to recent COVID-19 surges and the newest Alameda County shelter in place order.
To reach the Business Licensing division: call 510-675-5312 or email@example.com
For information about Planning, visit the Planning Division website at https://www.unioncity.org/208/Planning
For information about Building, visit the Building Division website at https://www.unioncity.org/210/Building
Due to staff working remotely, all general inquiries and reports for the Public Works Department are able to be submitted at this webpage: www.unioncity.org/pwform to report the following types of inquiries:
Engineering: Street Potholes, Uneven Sidewalks, Public Street Parking and Restrictions
Traffic: Traffic Signals & Street light Outage, General Traffic Concerns
Maintenance: Streets Sweeping, Plugged Storm Drains, Graffiti Removal, Street Trees and Parks.
Illegal Dumping: Illegal Dumping on City Streets or Parks Only
Illegal Dumping On Private Property: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Although most essential services will continue, response time for such services requests will be delayed due to reduced staffing levels to comply with the Order.
For other front-counter services, please email email@example.com or respective Public Works staff member for assistance.
For information about construction, inspections, and permit applications during this period, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For other issues that can’t be addressed through emails during this period, please call Police Non-Emergency number (510) 471-1365.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation during this period.
These City Facilities Remained Closed to the Public
Effective March 16, 2020, the following facilities are closed to public access until further notice:
- Corporation Yard – 34650 7th Street
- Decoto Resource Center – 505 H Street
Police Lobby Remains Closed
For Police Department front counter services and availability, please call the records section at 510. 675.5235 Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
RIDER ALERT: Union City Transit starts a new schedule on July 5, 2020 through December 31, 2020 in response to COVID-19. Routes 7, 8, and 9 are suspended during this time; use Routes 1, 2, 3, 4. and 5 along with AC Transit Lines 41, 56, and 97 to reach your destination.
Face Coverings are required at all times on transit vehicles. Rear door boarding and exiting is in effect unless otherwise directed by driver. Fares are not enforced until further notice and here are no Clipper Card sales available at City Hall.
Union City Paratransit is operating regular hours, but has suspending all Paratransit Plus service into Fremont, Hayward, and Newark. Paratransit ticket book sales have been suspended at City Hall and via PayPal; Safeway will continue to sell ticket books until they run out and will be restocked once fare enforcement resumes. Union City Paratransit does still require certification and a reservation. Paratransit riders may be asked additional health questions before boarding the vehicle. Face Coverings are required at all times on transit vehicles; if a client cannot wear a face covering, please coordinate with the reservations.
All actions are being made pursuant to state directives, the Alameda County Health Officer’s latest Health Order, and industry best practices to keep riders and drivers safe.
Garbage & Recycling Services
All Normal Waste Collection Services Resume June 1, 2020:
- Republic Services and Tri-CED Community Recycling continue to provide Union City residents and businesses with regular garbage, recycling, and organics services. Please ensure containers are accessible for pick-up on the usual weekly service day(s).
- Bulky item collection available: Schedule your bulky or large item pick-up appointment by contacting Republic Services at 510-657-3500. Union City single-family residents receive two free bulky item pick-ups per year.
- Used motor oil/filters and household batteries: Tri-CED provides curbside collection of residential oil jugs/filters, battery bags, and cellphones. They will also take extra cardboard if it is flattened and stacked neatly next to your carts on the regular pick-up day.
- Service schedule Garbage, recycling, and organics collection vehicles may service your containers earlier or later than your usual time. This allows the haulers to stagger route start times in order to limit the number of employees gathering and deploying at any one time. Please keep your containers out from 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. on your regular collection day until they are serviced.
- Commercial account changes assistance: Businesses may contact Republic Services or Tri-CED (contacts below) to temporarily suspend account services due to no current waste being generated onsite during the Shelter in Place Order or make other service adjustments.
- Buy-Back Recycling Center: Tri-CED’s bottles and cans redemption facility at 33377 Western Ave, Union City is open during regular business hours (Tuesday-Saturday from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM). Please exercise social distancing while at the recycling center.
- Administrative Offices: Republic Services and Tri-CED front offices are closed to walk-in customers. However, customer service representatives are still available and ready to assist. Where to go for questions:
Union City Recycles
Email email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Call 510.675.5466 or 510.675.5353
For garbage services; commercial recycling/organics bin & debris boxes call 510.657.3500,
email CustomerFirst4916@republicservices.com or go to www.RepublicServicesAC.com.
Tri-CED Community Recycling
For recycling and organics cart services call 510.429.8030, email email@example.com or go to www.Tri-Ced.org.