If you are homeless and have COVID-19 symptoms, call Alameda Health System 510-437-8500 for telephone screening and more information.
Alameda County and several county agencies have launched Operation Comfort in an effort to protect the health and safety of our unhoused community. More than 40 hotels in the county are offering rooms to homeless individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19, are experiencing symptoms, or have been exposed to the virus. These hotel rooms provide a safe environment for isolation and recovery. Numerous local outreach teams, hospitals, shelters, and clinics are participating as referral agencies for this program. You can read more about the program by following this link: http://www.acphd.org/2019-ncov.aspx/isolation-housing
Finding Shelter and Resources
- Families in need of shelter and/or resources should contact Lourdes Villegas (Union City Family Center) at 510-476-2755 or firstname.lastname@example.org. More on the Union City Family Center services later in this guide.
- Homeless should contact CAREavan & Operation Room Key Rep Jesus Garcia for local resources at 510-675-5482 or by email at email@example.com
- Contact Tri-City Housing Resource Center: 510-330-5822
- Call 211 for help finding shelter near you
- Abode Services operates a free mobile health clinic for homeless on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 6:00 pm. Also located at Centerville Presbyterian Church (4360 Central Ave) and Wednesdays from 8:00 am to 10:00 am at Irvington Presbyterian Church (4181 Irvington Ave).
- As part of its commitment to serve the Tri-Cities, the CleanStart Mobile Hygiene Unit will begin serving Union City! Service will take place Thursdays and Fridays beginning on July 2nd and 3rd. Thursdays, 7 a.m. - 10 a.m. Ruggieri Senior Center, 33997 Alvarado-Niles Rd. Fridays, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Our Lady of the Rosary, with free dining, 703 C Street.
The CAREavan Program is a special project organized by the Union City, Kid’s Zone, local community and faith based organizations in an effort to provide families and/or individuals who have been displaced and are temporarily homeless, living in their vehicles, and need a safe place to park overnight. CAREavan rep is Jesus Garcia (510-675-5482 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org). This is the current schedule for the program:
Seven Days a week, 8pm-7am
Mondays – Ruggieri Senior Center ( Restrooms, Laundry, Showers, WiFi)
Tuesdays – Ruggieri Senior Center (Restrooms, WiFi ONLY / NO Laundry, NO Showers)
Wednesdays – Ruggieri Senior Center (Restrooms, Laundry, Showers, WiFi)
Thursdays - Ruggieri Senior Center (Restrooms, Laundry, Showers, WiFi)
Fridays – Our Lady of the Rosary ( Restrooms ONLY)
Saturdays – Ruggieri Senior Center ( Restrooms, WiFi ONLY / NO laundry, NO Showers)
Sundays – Our Lady of the Rosary (Restrooms ONLY)
Bathroom resources in Union City (as of 4/30/20)
UNION CITY CIVIC CENTER
34009 ALVARADO NILES ROAD
(BY CITY HALL FRONT ENTRANCE)
35199 PERRY ROAD
OLD ALVARADO PARK
3871 SMITH STREET
PLEASE NOTE: THIS BATHROOM IS ONLY AVAILABLE ON SATURDAYS FROM 9AM-1PM, IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE UNION CITY PACIFIC COAST FARMERS MARKET
OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY CHURCH
703 C STREET
(WITH TOILETS AND SINK)
PLEASE NOTE: THESE BATHROOMS WILL BE AVAILABLE DURING PRAYER AREA HOURS WHICH ARE MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY, 9AM-7PM
Also, please abide by these simple instructions:
More Food and Hygiene Resources
FAQ: Unhoused People & Encampments
City staff have created a frequently asked questions(FAQ) document to address common concerns and to provide information regarding unhoused people encampments. Check it out here.