Residential Rental Assistance Program
Read this page in Spanish (Español).
The City of Union City will be issuing a second round of Residential Rental Assistance program funding for Union City residents who have been struggling financially due to the COVID-19 pandemic and have been unable to pay their rent. Funding for the program is provided by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Community Block Development Grant (CDBG) program and the CARES Act. The City’s program guidelines have been updated to cover three consecutive months of back rent, up to $5,000, for rental households earning 80 percent of median income ($94,000 for a family of three) who have been impacted by COVID-19. Funds will be paid directly to the landlord.
The program will pay for up to three months of back rent (up to $5,000) for households earning up to 80% of area median income (as of Feb 28, 2020). See below for application requirements, including income chart. The application period opens on March 15, 2021 at 9:00 am and end on March 29, 2021 at 5:00pm. All applications must be complete by this time to be considered.
Who is Eligible for Union City Residential Rental Assistance Program?
In order to be eligible for Union City Residential Rental Assistance, renters must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a Union City resident
- Job loss or loss of income is directly related to COVID-19
- Lease is in the applicant’s name
- Your Landlord must be willing to accept a 3rd party check and complete a W-9 Form
- Income at or below 80 % Area Medium Income. See chart below:
CDBG Income Limits - Alameda County
|Alameda County||Number of Persons in Household|
|Extremely Low 30%||$27,450||$31,350||$35,250||$39,150||$42,300||$45,450||$48,550||$51,700|
How will applications be evaluated?
In anticipation of a high volume of applications, priority will be given to applicants who fall under the following categories:
- Applicants with no additional resources for rental assistance
- Applicants with incomes lower than 80 % of Area Median Income
- Applicants who are rent burdened (rent is over 30% of household income)
- Applicants who are single head of household with minor children
- Applicants who have special circumstances (i.e. have high medical costs due to Covid-19)
How Do I Apply for the Union City Residential Rental Assistance Program?
- Complete the online application.
- The on-line application requires the submission of documents that will need to be uploaded as part of the online application process.
- Your application is not complete until all documentation is submitted, and once complete it will be evaluated and weighted according to the priorities above.
- To apply by phone, you may call the City of Union City Staff at 510-675-5392. Callers who get voicemail will be instructed to leave a message requesting assistance with the Union City Residential Rental Assistance Program with their name and phone number clearly stated.
- Applicants will be notified of the results of the evaluation process. If selected for assistance, payment will be made directly to your landlord.
When Can I Apply?
The application period opens on March 15, 2021 at 9:00am and will be open for two weeks. The application period will end on March 29, 2021 at 5:00pm. All applications must be complete by this time to be considered.
What Documentation Is Needed?
Please have the following documents ready BEFORE you start the application process. If you start the application and need to quit and come back to it later, please click "SAVE" and make an account. Otherwise, if you leave the application all information will be lost!
- Valid photo identification for the name of the person applying (i.e. valid driver’s license, State ID, passport etc.).
- Proof of job loss or loss of income as a result of COVID-19
- Furlough or layoff notice on or after the Shelter-in-Place order was issued on March 17, 2020.
- Proof of income for the entire household for the month of January and Feb 2021, i.e. pay stubs, benefit award letters, etc. If you are self-employed, and do not have an income statement or paycheck stub, submit page one and two of your 2019 Federal Tax return and include Schedule C.
- Proof of all current sources of income and/or benefits for the household, if applicable, i.e. unemployment benefits, letter from government agency or printout of government benefits, etc.
- Documentation from the Landlord
- IRS Form W-9 completed by the landlord (W-9 Form)
- Applicant may submit completed W-9 OR the Landlord can send completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Landlord must type the tenant’s first and last name in the subject line.
- Documentation from landlord for rent owed – signed by landlord or authorized representative. The document should include the tenant’s name, the month(s), date(s) and amounts for rent owed after March 17, 2020.
- Copy of current lease in the Applicant's name.
- Rental assistance documentation from other sources, applicable
- Copies of applications to other programs
- Copies of approval/denial letters from other programs
- Copies of latest status on application from other programs
- Other: _________________________________________
Examples include: Housing Choice Voucher Program, Section 8, Seasons of Sharing, Abode Services Rapid Rehousing, Emergency Solution Grant (ESG) funding, etc.
Who Do I Contact for More Information?
If you have questions regarding the program requirements or application process or would like to apply by phone, please call the City of Union City staff at 510-675-5392 or email staff at email@example.com.