Afghan Refugee Help
Donate to the Fremont Afghan Relief Fund
The City of Fremont’s Human Services Department is raising money to provide direct assistance to Afghan Refugees who are arriving to the Tri-City area (Fremont, Newark, and Union City) from Afghanistan. Funds will be used for housing, food, clothing, and other items or services to assist refugees expected to arrive in our area.
To make a donation by check, make check out to City of Fremont, with AR Help noted in the memo, and mail to City of Fremont Human Services Department, P.O. Box 5006, Fremont, CA 94537-5006.
Medical Services and Referrals
Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center in Union City is offering support for incoming refugees and the Afghan community. The Center has an Afghan (Dari speaking) provider at the Union City Clinic (33255 9th St), who can help to enroll them into insurance and can help to provide referrals to other services. For more information, call 510.471.5907.
Organizations Accepting Donations
- Human Rights First is seeking pro bono lawyers to assist Afghan evacuees.
- The International Refugee Assistance Project is soliciting donations to offer legal services to displaced Afghans.
- The Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service is directing volunteers to its location-based sign-up page to assist Afghan refugees with travel from the airport, settling into their apartments or providing a meal.
- The International Medical Corps, which has operated in Afghanistan since 1984, offers medical training and services in the country and is soliciting donations to its emergency relief fund.
- The International Rescue Committee is aiming to raise $10 million to “deliver lifesaving aid” in Afghanistan. Local chapters of the organization are also seeking volunteers to assist those who arrive through the Afghan Special Immigrant Visa in their search for employment and housing.