Landfill (Garbage) Collection Program

Before you dispose of something, consider if it can be reused, repaired, or donated. Reduce waste by opting for less packaging and for reusable materials whenever possible. 

Have items to donate or don't know if you can recycle something? For easy options to reuse, repair, recycle or safely dispose of just about anything, search StopWaste’s RE:Source Guide for reuse, repair, recycling and safe disposal options.

What is Accepted in My Landfill (Garbage) Bin/Cart?

Acceptable items include non-recyclables, non-compostable, and non-hazardous items such as:

  • Plastic bags, film, wrap (e.g., zip-top storage bags, shipping envelopes, bubble wrap, air pillows, and product wrap)
  • Plastic straws and utensils
  • Plastics labeled #3-7
  • Aseptic (shelf-stable) containers (e.g., lined juice, soup, and milk cartons and pouches)
  • Snack packaging (e.g., chip bags and candy wrappers)
  • Styrofoam products (e.g., cups, plates, meat/seafood trays, packing peanuts and blocks)
  • Broken glass/mirrors (must be packaged safely)
  • Ceramics
  • Hoses
  • Carpets, rugs, and mats that cannot be donated
  • Shoes, clothing, and toys that cannot be donated
  • Diapers and personal hygiene products (e.g., sanitary napkins, used tissue, and disposable gloves and masks)
  • Treated wood such as lumber that has been painted or stained.

What is Prohibited in My Landfill (Garbage) Bin/Cart?

Recyclable and compostable materials may NOT be disposed of in your landfill bin/cart as per California’s Organics Reduction and Recycling Law (Senate Bill 1383) and Union City Municipal Code Chapter 7.24. Recyclable and compostable materials must be sorted and placed in the appropriate container. Other prohibited items include:

  • Dirt, rock, asphalt, concrete, and brick
  • Tires
  • Construction and demolition debris
  • Household hazardous waste such as paints, batteries, and chemicals
  • Electronic waste such as televisions and computers
  • Used motor oil and oil filters
  • Fluorescent light bulbs/tubes
  • Medicines and medical sharps such as syringes and needles.

It is illegal to dispose of hazardous waste such as chemicals, cleaners, fertilizers, paint, pesticides, propane tanks, sharps, and electronic waste in your recycle, compost, and landfill bins/carts. Hazardous waste materials require careful disposal by a certified facility. Safely dispose of hazardous waste materials for free at an Alameda County HHW Drop-off Facility or at County-sponsored events throughout the year. For drop-off facility locations, hours, and a list of accepted items, call (800) 606-6606 or visit

How Do I Establish or Improve My Waste Collection Program? 

Recycling Specialists at Republic Services and  Tri-CED Community Recycling are available to provide free technical assistance to help your business start or improve its recycle and compost collection program, comply with State and local regulations, implement waste reduction practices, and realize potential cost savings. Free technical assistance includes:

  • Assistance subscribing to mandatory landfill, recycle, and compost collection services. 
  • Waste assessments to determine the optimal collection service level for your business and potentially achieve cost savings. Did you know? Subscribing to recycle and compost collection services may help your business realize cost savings as recycling and compost collection services cost 40% less than comparable landfill (garbage) collection service.
  • Staff trainings to ensure proper sorting, share best practices, and to answer questions. 
  • Setting up indoor color-coded and labeled collection containers to be compliant with SB 1383. 
  • Educational materials such as posters, service guides, and outdoor/indoor container decals to educate staff on proper sorting. 
  • General support to help your business maximize recycling opportunities and to reduce waste.

Contact your haulers today to request for free technical assistance!

Republic Services

Tri-CED Community Recycling

  • Phone: (510) 429-8030
  • Email:
  • Customer Service Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. 
  • Buy Back Recycling Center Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

For additional information and resources including how to order free indoor decals and customized signs, contact StopWaste at (510) 891-6575 (leave message for call back), ask a question through the online form, or email